DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Odd Contax Question

G

This might be an odd question...but I thought I'd ask the assembled experts this question:

I already have an N1 and a G2, but I am looking for a very small camera that takes excellent pictures to keep in my briefcase.

I have been shopping online for one of the older Rollei 35's, which I understand take good pictures...despite a lack of technology.

People tell me that I should go with a Contax T2/T3/TVS despite the larger size and much higher cost.

I UNDERSTAND this is a Contax list, but from reading the comments, it appears that there are some very knowledgeable camera people on the list. I would very much appreciate your input or even recommendations for a very small camera.

IF you feel your comments aren't appropriate for the list, please email me off list at jsr993@aol.com

thank you so much!!
Jeff in Colorado

Jeff,

You might consider the famous Yaschica T4. It has Zeiss 35mm F3.5 lens in it and takes wonderful pictures. It is now out of production, but I am sure you could find one on ebay. Better yet would be the T4 Super which is weaterproof. Yaschica now has a new model to replace it, but the name or number escapes me at the moment. I think it is priced at around $350.00. The original price on a T4 was about $180.00. It is the camera that got me started with CZ and Contax.
Ron in NM

If you love your G2 you will love the T3, a "baby G" if ever there were one. If you've never held one in your hand, you should. It's about as small as a 35mm camera can reasonably be.

The Rollei 35s are fine little cameras in their own right, especially the ES model. There's no rangefinder, however. The Olympus XA was a fine compact camera and does have a rangefinder. I've always wanted one of those in my collection.

--Rick

> If price is a consideration, purchase a Yashic Super T4. Partially waterproof, CZ 35mm lens, and very, very tough. Great for kicking > around, yet takes very nice shots. Costs around $150.00 USA. Only complaint, the flash creates a bit of red eye ... but that would be true > of most P&S cameras.

michael.

>

The T4 has been replaced by the new T4 zoom, featuring a Zeiss tessar zoom = lens. No idea if it's any good.

Hi Jeff,

a lesser known but excellent camera is the Rollei AFM35. I own both this camera and the T3 and haven't been able to make up my mind which of the two I like better. The T3 seems to deliver a harder and snappier contrast, but I must admit at times some noticable vignetting. Photos taken with the Rollei seem to be softer in contrast, but are razorsharp in the details nevertheless. I think I picked up somewhere that the 'coating' of the Rollei lens comes from CZ, but I'm not sure.
The Rollei comes at about 40% cheaper than the T3.

Cheers, Raymond

I've seen a small Ricoh that has great 28mm lense and seems to have a cult following. Somebody out there may know the model number.

>Hi Jeff, The T4 Zoom will be released probably later this month or next retailers say. It does have a zoom lens as opposed to the fixed lenses in the other cameras that have been mentioned. You can find it at some places for 199, but as someone said earlier no idea on how it is. Someone also mentioned the Ricoh GR series cameras 1v 1s and GR-21. These cameras have also got its own following and is very compact and thin. I personally have a T3 and have been generally happy with it, but it is pricier than the other alternatives.

For your briefcase camera, I can recommend the Ricoh GR1v. The 28mm/2.8 lense has been quoted as being as good as CZ & Lieca lenses. This camera uses similar concepts to my Contax G2 (Hi tech but still user friendly, and extremely sharp).

Thanks for the great feeback so far... Ming ting..a T4 for 199? 199 what? The T3's around here are REALLY EXPENSIVE..around $900 US...

Jeff in colorado

Back