DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lens

hell_on_wheels

<font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+1">Hi all!! I'm very new to all this forum thing so please bear with me. I've decided to upgrade my Nikon 18-70 3.5-5.6 lens for something much better. I have a Tokina 80-200 2.8 which does a wonderful job and is terrific in all those dark churches when I'm shooting a wedding. However I'd also like something wider to have on my other camera as well. I was thinking about the Nikon 17-55 2.8 to replace the 18-70. Any comments on this lens?

Hi David, is the 17-55 really sharp & fast? I really want a lens that gives crystal sharpness. I use a 50mm 1.8 sometimes but find the 50mm fairly limiting that's why I thought the 17-55 would be more serviceable. And obviously the 2.8 isn't going to be quite as sharp as the 1.8 but still should be pretty good.

> Rather than getting the kit lens I got the D70 body and the 17-55 A friend did the same. You won't be sorry. dhw

Check your manual - many Nikon digital cameras have a setting for B&W. However, it gives you limited control of the image, and most people find it better to shoot in colour and use image processing tools to achieve a far better image. Shooting in color of course also gives you a colour image, which can be desirable. It is very easy to take the colour OUT of an image but very difficult to put it IN a B&W.

For the last couple of decades of my film shooting career, I did all my B&W shooting on colour negative film. Many times an editor or client would look at my B&W prints and say "I wish I had assigned this in colour". I would reply that I could provide the same shots in colour and customer and photographer would bond!

For quality, you will do better starting with a colour image. At the simplest, you can just desaturate it, but you can also use the channel mixer to dial in the equivalent of any B&W filter after the fact. There is simply no advantage to shooting B&W in camera.

larry! http://www.larry-bolch.com/ ICQ 76620504

> You shoot in color and convert to black and white with programs such as > Photoshop. You cannot shoot in 'just' black and white -- which is a plus > because you can have both black and white and color.

most programs like Photoshop or the Nikon software are able to convert your color photo into b&w. I shoot in the RAW format with my D100 most times and that allows me more options after I download the photographs to my computer and it wont deteriorate the image quality every time I save it like JPEG files do.

Lou

Back