DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Photo projects

saspencr

Just thought I'd get comments on some photo projects I'm planning. The first is more for a learning experience. I plan to take a few exposures at all 23 exposure values (as described in http://www.fredparkerphotography.com/ultexp1.htm) using the sunny 16 rule and take identical photos using the contax g2 meter in auto.

I'll describe the second project I have later.

Scott

. Scott said: I plan to take a few > exposures at all 23 exposure values ( +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Scott: Better plan some more details: First > What are your objectives?

If you are talking B&W >> What film will you use? They are all different. What process will you use? All different contrasts.

World becomes much easier if you use chromogenic films. Standard process ....if you don't push or pull.

Are you sure you want to use sunny 16?

Dave

PS: We once did a study where we sent standard exposed rolls of same film to 40 different processing labs. Results were all over the map. HUGE differences

Hi Dave. Here's some more information. I plan to use Fuji Provia 100F. Standard processing.

As far as subject is concerned, if you refer back to the website I cited, you will see the chart of exposure values with subjects that match for each value. I plan to find those or similar subject and conditions.

By the sunny 16 rule, I mean that I will start with that (1/[film speed] at f16) and adjust according the the appropriate exposure value listed on the chart.

For ex&le, I plan to go out on a starlit night and photograph some subject lit only by this. This has an ev of -6. Thus, since "sunny 16" has an ev of 15, I will have to adjust by 21 stops. I will snap the photo with this calculation and then snap the photo with whatever the meter reads in auto. I wasn't sure that I should stick to a particular subject because I wanted to get a feel for what the surroundings looked like at those exposures as well. Scott

I just did a quick calculation for the ex&le, and figured I would have to shoot at f/2 and 512 seconds (not sure if this is right) so I'll have to correct for reciprocity failure (never done this before).

Scott, Thanks for the clarification.....good luck.

Kodak's web site can help you with reciprocity if you use Kodak film.

Dave

Back