DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

PL 25mm f1.4 II or Oly 20mm f1.4 on an OM5?

Yannis

Hi all,
I am looking for an f1.4 lens for my small OM5. I can find the PL II used for a relatively better price than the slightly bigger, heavier and more expensive Oly 20mm/1.4. However I don't know how the PL 25 II fares in SAF/CAF on Olympus cameras...
thanks
Yannis

I don't know about those particular lenses. My PL100-400 does just fine in either SAF or CAF on my OM-1. My Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 does fine on my OM-1 however I did purchase the M.Zuiko 12mm f/2.0 specifically because OMDS suggests that STARRY SKY AF will only work with M.Zuiko lenses (although I have yet to prove or disprove that).

Hi Yannis,
In S-AF with good lighting both are fast and reliable on the OM-1. The difference becomes evident in C-AF or in low light where the newer 20/1.4 excels. I provided some measure and example here:

The size/weight difference between the two is negligible in use. I would say pick whichever focal length you like best.

Hi all,
I am looking for an f1.4 lens for my small OM5. I can find the PL II used for a relatively better price than the slightly bigger, heavier and more expensive Oly 20mm/1.4. However I don't know how the PL 25 II fares in SAF/CAF on Olympus cameras...
thanks
Yannis
Hi Yannis,

I would say that the FL is quite important too. What do you want me use it for?

Thx,
Chris

Happens with a PL25/1.4 mk i on my EM1 whether anti-flicker is on or off. Pre-focus is off. Happens in both SAF and CAF. Starts when shutter is half pressed and continues for about 1/2 sec after button released.

Andrew

Hi all,
thanks
Yannis
PL 25 was an early m43 lens. I don't THINK the ii version had significant mechanical changes. It can make some noise, though it really doesn't bother me. The AF is fine in everyday use (and I've used it on Olympus bodies). But if AF speed is critical to your uses it's probably not the best choice. Probably not for video work either. That said I really like the lens. I just think it produces really nice looking images. I've never seen or used the 20. I do think the difference in focal length is pretty meaningful and merits strong consideration in the decision.

I am looking for an f1.4 lens for my small OM5. I can find the PL II used for a relatively better price than the slightly bigger, heavier and more expensive Oly 20mm/1.4.
Personal taste. The 20mm feels like a slightly-cramped 17mm, but it avoids the wide-angle perspective issues a 17mm can have with close-ups of people. It's a nice compromise.

The 25mm has a much more natural-feeling perspective, but its narrower FOV is harder to compose with (you find yourself stepping back, or wishing you could). The 25mm takes longer to learn, but can produce more satisfying results.

Back