CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New Contax Digital

S

spluff

Hi Guys,

I have heard a rumour about a new Contax full chip digital to be announced in the next week at some event in Hanover.

Does anybody else know about this?

Cheers, Saras

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Saras,

I do not think so. If a new Contax digital will come out, it will be shown at Photokina first I think. I do not know any event over the next 2 weeks in Germany, on which it would make sense to show somthing this important for Contax.

There should have been shown already a ND2 in February this year, but it was postponed for various reasons.

My sources are telling me that this year will be a good Contax year. And probably at a price more people can live with. So lets wait and hope.

S

spluff

Thanks Dirk,

Hopefully it is a good year for Contax - in the meantime, I'll keep saving!!

Cheers, Saras

marcof

I certainly am hoping for a friendlier priced (say 3000-4000 euro max) digital contax. Be it DSLR or DRF.. fingers crossed for photokina!

Marco >

stan_parry

Do you mean that Contax might issue a ND2 within the forseeable future? What were their reasons for delay? I have an N1 with lenses and like it very much but really want to go digital. I am thinking of trading a whole bunch of equipment to get an R8 and then a digital back. Any advice?

stan_parry

I am very impressed with djg's photographs on the gallery using a ND. I have the N system and am thinking of getting out of Contax altogether. Are there any postings by ND users illuminating the pros and cons of the system and ideas about buying an ND. Has the ND been upgraded or modified since its introduction?

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Stan,

if you go to the ND threads within this forum, you will find many posting especially from Fotografz, DJG and Irakly. They are now all very satisfied, after the new Photoshop plugin became available.

You can click on their profile and will find a link to their Contax Photo Gallery. There are many ND shots among them.

Or go directly to the Photo gallery, click on Members and the look for username fotografz and Irakly.

Third alternative: You can do there a search with the keyword ND

stan_parry

Thanks so much for the personal note. It is very helpful. I must admit to dithering about this, particularly since I am not sure where to buy an ND. Any suggestions? Adorama just sold one on Ebay for $2900 and I guess you can purchase a service contract.

The gallery is simply superb! Not just the photos, but the professional manner in which you have arranged and presented it all. It is a joy to use. Thanks an congratulations.

D

djg

Stan (not Steve - sorry, long day at the office!),

Thanks for the nice words. As Dirk mentioned, you'll find many excellent ND shots from various members. The ND has some shortcomings: slower autofocus, small buffer, 4 sec startup time and big battery consumption, but has excellent tonal range, ergonomics and feel, not to mention the Zeiss glass, which zooms are just about second to none, though not especially light-weight. It CAN take good action shots often, but don't bet your life on it.

The raw format with the Adobe plugin is a real joy to use, but it's "blind" at the camera - it can't be previewed until you load it to the PC and use the software. But hey, that's just like film :). I have found the exposures tend to be dark off the bat, but that works in preserving the inherent tonal range - that's what Photoshop is for, and we're not talking jump through hoops adjustments, but basic saturation, brightness and contrast to get you in the sweet zone. The additional tools Photoshop provides give you even more control.

Good luck in your quest, wherever it takes you!

DJ

funjp

Contrary to the rest of the world it is still possible to find the N Digital at Japanese stores, but that's not my point. Until some weeks ago the price tag for the N Digital would be around 630 thousand yen, but today I went to my favorite camera store, and guess what ? There was a new price tag for the camera, around 430 thousand yen. It seems Kyocera is dumping its stocks. So, now it's to wait for the new N Digital at Photokina, I think.

D

djg

Here's some reassuring info. In the official Photokina 2004 roster, under Yashica Kyocera Gmbh, the short list of products includes the following:

- Digital viewfinder cameras
- Digital SLR cameras
- Compact cameras
- Medium format cameras
- Single lens reflex cameras

To me, Digital SLR cameras imply an ND II, as the only other possibility would be the 645, and that's not a digital SLR out of the Kyocera gate.

Any thoughts?

jsmisc

Can't wait to see what materialises but I would love to be able to use my existing CY mount and G lenses with digital. I can't see it happening though and I love the collection of lenses I have expensively built up over the years and I do not want to ditch them.
John

stan_parry

Arggh!! Just as I am getting ready to sell most if not all of my N, C/Y SLR, G, and T cameras and lenses, Contax may be coming up with something that might (or might not) work with my N lenses or possibly (not likely) with my MM lenses. Keep me informed. You can reach me at the Contax Home for Deranged Users here in California. I will be checking in shortly.

rhdpens

I am new to correspondence in this forum.

I have a Contax 645 with a Kodak DCS back and it is essentially unbelievable. The Vario Sonnar 45-90 weighs a lot but is phenomenal in both color tonality and resolution. The DCS back can resolve at an amazing level.

I recently acquired a Canon EOS 1-DS and have used Zoerk adapters to mount a c/y 28-85 and an old Leica Visoflex 90 Summicron. The results have been absolutely stunning. Before you decide you must choose to sell your old Zeiss lenses, at least give this option some consideration.

I acquired the Canon in order to be able to use long lenses without getting a hernia. The ability to use Zeiss MM and AE lenses, Leica R and Visoflex lenses, and Nikon lenses, has turned out to be a real treat.

albert4321

Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

I am just wondering... with the 1Ds, I am sure it is a treat being able to use Zeiss and Leica Lenses. But, do you find yourself use the Canon lenses more? If so, how do you like Canon lenses? I have been playing with the 10d with the 16-35 and 24-70 L glasses. I found the 16-35 is a dog with the 10d. The 24-70 is good but does not have the same quality and feel with my N and 645 lenses.

For the past 6 months, I have been shooting almost exclusively with my C645 + 45-90 zoom in chromes. The result was very satisfying. I used my ND as Polaroid. Later with the introduction of Photoshop CS raw developer for Contax, I shot the ND more and try to learn the digital processing more. Now I found my ND is absolutely great in studio when I shot with the C645 80mm f/2 lens. I shot with the C645 as back up. For the last model shoot. I didn't even bother to develop the C645 chromes and negs since I was so happy with my ND raw images.

I have been thinking to get a 1DS and buy one if there is a 1DS mark II announce in the upcoming Photokina. The ND just does not work well for event and long exposure, or hi ISO. But the Zeiss lenses keep me to stay on the Contax line. If there is a ND II coming, I would be a very happy man.

For the price of the IDS and the expense for getting L glasses, digital back for the C645 is not a bad option for me. I am use to the size and weight, and I think the C645 + 45-90 zoom combo is a great. I can shoot films and digital at the same time. Too bad Kodak drops the 645 digital backs but there are so many option out there now. Most of them are out of my reach pricewise though.

jsmisc

Hi Stan,
I must check if there is a Contax Home for Deranged Users here in the UK. I guess I could use it as a refuge at times!
John

D

djg

I really, really hope there's a new ND at Photokina. If there isn't, it's an EOS 1Ds for me, but I'm an N-mount zoom lover and after reading Fred Miranda's review of the Canon 24-70 2.8L, I'm not looking forward to it.

My N 24-85 works marvelously in flare-inducing situations, giving nice contrast outside the actual flared region, which in itself is really well controlled. Not so the Canon, and these are the kinds of shots I like.

Using the C/Y zooms in manual focus with an adapter might be a nice alternative if I do decide to go the 1Ds way. I used to own the 35-135 with my RTS III and I loved it. Other than the manual focusing, are there any other drawbacks when using the C/Y lenses on the Canon?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. How I wish I could use the N lenses on the EOS! But I hope I'm premature in my pesimism

DJ

albert4321

DJ, can you include the link for Fred's review on the 24-70 L Zoom?

Bobby Tan provided the Zoerk link which mentioned having C645 and Contax N adaptors in their product line:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Also, Bobby posted a link for using c/y lenses on the Canon D30. It caused demage on the body, and exposure is being off:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

bobbytan

This problem of the C/Y lenses scratching the 10D body is true. I see scratch marks on my 10D body, which was obviously caused by the Zeiss lenses' shark's fin! Fortunately the damage is not significant and it will not discourage me from using my Zeiss lenses on the 10D, but you do have to check, as I understand the size of the "shark fin" is different on different Zeiss lenses - meaning some will cause more damage than others.