DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Image Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

anisah

I am a little concerned about the protection offered to members for images that they upload.

If I upload an image will others, or even forum visitors, be able to download the image? I have done a search "picture protection", "image protection" and also "protection" with the final one revealing only issues of spam. I tried downloading an image posted by a friend and to my great concern found that I could download the full size image with no difficulty whatsoever. I immediately alerted the said member to this problem.

While I am no longer concerned about earning money from pictures I am sure that there are other members who are concerned about this, and we all need assurance that our work will not be plagiarised or stolen by others.

The mantra I go by for ANY online postings on ANY site:

"If you don't want it stolen, don't post it"

Its nigh on impossible to stop an image being stolen when posted digitally

Shelton.

The mantra I go by for ANY online postings on ANY site:

"If you don't want it stolen, don't post it"

Its nigh on impossible to stop an image being stolen when posted digitally

Shelton.
I think most of us are aware of this, but there are some basic protections that can be implemented to deter would be thieves. These do not seem to be present on this site.

For example there is one site I know of where, even if you try to copy your own image, a warning comes up to say that "this image is copyrighted to *****". You can also disable the right click option that allows cut, copy, etc on a website - not everyone is aware of the keyboard shortcuts. There are plu-ins that can do this. Anyy little thing can help deter theft and plagiarism has got to be better than no protection.

For example there is one site I know of where, even if you try to copy your own image, a warning comes up to say that "this image is copyrighted to *****". You can also disable the right click option that allows cut, copy, etc on a website - not everyone is aware of the keyboard shortcuts. There are plu-ins that can do this. Anyy little thing can help deter theft and plagiarism has got to be better than no protection.
Total waste of time, those that are interested in using images that don't belong to them easily know how to get around those token measures and certainly don't give a damn about copyright

Total waste of time, those that are interested in using images that don't belong to them easily know how to get around those token measures and certainly don't give a damn about copyright

Unfortunately, I have to agree to this. There is no way to protect your images except, not to to show it on the internet.

All uploaded images can only be seen if you are logged in. But embedded images are still visible. At then end of the day, if someone wants to steal, he will do it and he will have the knowledge on how to do it, no matter what you do.

I agree, if it can be displayed on someone's monitor, there always is a way to download it, if need be by taking screenshots of the fully zoomed-in image parts and stitching them back together. I don't make money from my photos in any way, but I would still be annoyed if someone else would pretend my work is theirs.
I tend to reduce resolution and JPEG quality of what I upload on websites, for 2 reasons:
  1. stay within file size limits and only use as much server space and bandwidth as needed to provide an image that looks good enough for everyone except the hardcore pixel-peepers;
  2. if there would ever be a case where I need to prove the image is mine, I have the higher quality source available as proof.
Next to this, a logo or watermark embedded into the image could also help. Of course those can also be removed but it's yet another hurdle and then the thief has no excuse that they weren't aware the image probably has certain restrictions on distribution.

Unfortunately, I have to agree to this. There is no way to protect your images except, not to to show it on the internet.

All uploaded images can only be seen if you are logged in. But embedded images are still visible. At then end of the day, if someone wants to steal, he will do it and he will have the knowledge on how to do it, no matter what you do.
As old saying has it "All locks are from the honest people".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back