DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Flickr - embed images into the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyF

Dirk, please see my post and reply to you on Johannes' thread under SD1Merrill...Easter... I think it ended up in the Sigma forum and you and other readers might not readily see it.
Again, truly thanks for all your efforts here.

Dirk, here's the problem as I see it. Those of us who like to shoot big RAW files usually have a workflow whereby we process our roughly 50MB RAW to a Jpeg of about 20MB maybe slightly more, say 25MB. Landscapes and nature shots in particular have that much detail and MB size. I understand this size is not necessary for cellphone or computer viewing rather than printing.
Workflow.

It's a workflow problem/question. I'm not going to downsize each of my files to under 4MB so I could post it here. Other sites might have different accepted sizes. Do I reprocess 10MB for another site, maybe another size again for another site I read and use? Chaos in workflow and what goes where.

I think the solution for those of us with big files is to LINK and EMBED here with our file HOSTED elsewhere, like Flickr where we pay a nominal amount annually for hosting our photos.

I used to use PBase. Then they started charging per MB, so I switched to Flickr where there is unlimited storage called 'Pro' user. I'm sure there are other options in US and other countries for storing photos online or in the 'cloud' I just cannot personally name them.
Thanks for all your efforts!

@SandyF @amadeus21

Yes, I understand your point and I agree, the best way would be to embend your images from your usual extrenal hosters into this forum.

To be honest, I never dealt with such large files in a community forum. Therefore I have no answer for this like do x and y will work for sure.

So, we have to experiment to find a way how this could work with this forum software although we have these restrictions. :z04-pc2:

Unfortunately, each webhoster (Flickr, pbase etc.) is different and even worse, sometimes they chnage something without informing and a method, whoch worked last week does not work this week anymore. Be prepared for a lot of frustration over the next few years. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

Maybe we start fist with Flock and Pbase. As far as I could follow different threads, these are the most used webhoster by dpreview users. As soon as we get to know more external webhoster, we can test them too.

I will move my answer here and the above 2 postings into the FAQ/help section, so more people get to know this and help to find a solution.

Тест
@SandyF @amadeus21

Yes, I understand your point and I agree, the best way would be to embend your images from your usual extrenal hosters into this forum.

To be honest, I never dealt with such large files in a community forum. Therefore I have no answer for this like do x and y will work for sure.

So, we have to experiment to find a way how this could work with this forum software although we have these restrictions. :z04-pc2:

Unfortunately, each webhoster (Flickr, pbase etc.) is different and even worse, sometimes they chnage something without informing and a method, whoch worked last week does not work this week anymore. Be prepared for a lot of frustration over the next few years. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

Maybe we start fist with Flock and Pbase. As far as I could follow different threads, these are the most used webhoster by dpreview users. As soon as we get to know more external webhoster, we can test them too.

I will move my answer here and the above 2 postings into the FAQ/help section, so more people get to know this and help to find a solution.
Maybe via Google Disk. Link to 10mb jpg (example) -> The Coast. Canary Islands.

If you try out new webhoster, always check first, whether they will keep your files untouched also in the long run. Some might offer you full resolution for 6 months and later they reduce the files with an algorythm to smaller sizes. Look always for the small footprints in the offers ;)

My guess is that webhosters who focus on photographers are the best in not destroying your images longterm, becasue their target group will recognize any kind of change to the images.

@SandyF

You said you are at Flickr. What is your experinee in embedding your images here? Read the FAQ first. See the link in my signature.

Are you able to show your images of Flickr here successfully? Or does it not work?

If you try out new webhoster, always check first, wther the will keep your files untouched also in the long run. Some might offer your full resolution for 6 months and later they reduce the files with an algorythm to smalle sizes. Look always for the small footprints in the offers ;)

My guess is that webhosters who focus on photographers are the best in not destryoing your images longterm, beacsue their target group will recognize any kind of change to the images.
Having a separate host for the forum - for storing large files - is not a good idea. If you want to display large photos, upload them to your personal storage, e.g. GoogleDisk... Or upload full size photos to Flickr.

With flickr it's feasible and not too complicated, I don't use PBase but I imagine it must be similar.

1- Open two windows, one with the forum message and the other with the chosen flickr image.
2- In the flickr window, go to the chosen photo and "Download this photo" + "See all sizes", choose the size with which the photo will be displayed in the forum and by "right clicking" with the mouse on the image, copy its URL ("image link").
3- In the forum window, select "insert image" + "By URL" and paste the URL.
4- In the flickr window, choose the maximum size in which you want your image to be displayed and by "right clicking" with the mouse on the image, copy its URL.
5- In the forum window, left click on the image and select "insert link", paste the URL, resize the image to your liking and that's it.

Note that downloading large images takes time. For example, if when you click on one of my images you see it pixelated, it is because it is still being downloaded. Have some patience :)

@SandyF

You said you are at Flickr. What is your experinee in embedding your images here? Read the FAQ first. See the link in my signature.

Are you able to show your images of Flickr here successfully? Or does it not work?
Embedding from Flickr works well for me here. I click 'share' on the Flickr photo then use the short share link not the photo URL link and not the BBCode link if I see it ( BBCode option shows on my computer but not on the android cellphone.) I have some photos embedded here in various threads, both in the Sigma forum and in the Canon full- frame forum for my 5DS. If you click on a photo of mine here at dprforum, you jump to the photo on Flickr. Then you can view the photo in various sizes. My files on Flickr tend to run about 20MB unless it is a cropped photo.
Sandy Fleischmann on flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back