DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not share it, but it is easy to understand that for many only flattering comments are welcome (no one complains about them).
I come from forums where the effort behind a criticism made in good faith, with education and whoever it comes from, is valued, whether we take it into account or not, it only depends on us. And obviously, the more criticism a photo receives, the more opportunities we all have together to learn in the process and not just about photography.
PS: The comments disparaging those who think differently do not deserve any comment.

Gary is busy showing folks the ignore button, kinda like this:

True, but that won't always ring true for many that get triggered by any form of critique. We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended.

Image deleted by moderator.
@stig Please no offending postings or images
You will have to explain to me what was offending about the image. It was an example of the use of an ignore button, that Gary was showing/encouraging another forum member to do?

I wasn't encouraging anything - the guy asked where the ignore button was.

Maybe some people feel the same way Steppenwolf did, many years ago -

What gives you the right hey you
To stand there and tell me what to do
Tell me who gave you the power
To stop me from livin' like I do
Remember if you plan to stay
Those who give can take away
Don't bite the hand that feeds you

It's just common courtesy to ask first.

Do people posting images here want honest feedback? Or is this more for "social sharing?"

I used to spend a lot of time posting at naturephotographers.net, where the expectation was that people would post their best work and expect honest critiques from other photographers. It was an excellent way for people to gauge the quality of their own work, hear honest criticism and advice, and incorporate that into their future work. I spent many years at NPN but have moved on after it changed owners and took a different form.

I know it can be hard for any of us to take criticism, and some people posting at NPN actually only wanted positive feedback. I also know how hard it can be to give honest feedback in a sensitive manner.

So, before I go down the wrong track here I'd like to hear what others think of this. Do you want such feedback? Do you think it helps or hurts to get such feedback? Do we need a way to indicate our preferences when we post an image? Should the be a separate forum just for image critiques?
That's what I'm here for, not sure what the point of posting in a photo forum is other than to get feedback. Feedback is a gift! Not all of us have been trained in how to give it, but that's to be expected. Respectful, honest feedback which points out the good and the bad is what I hope for.

I think what works well is to ask for critique in the title. If someone doesn't ask, I don't offer as offense can be taken.

That's what I'm here for, not sure what the point of posting in a photo forum is other than to get feedback. Feedback is a gift! Not all of us have been trained in how to give it, but that's to be expected. Respectful, honest feedback which points out the good and the bad is what I hope for.

I think what works well is to ask for critique in the title. If someone doesn't ask, I don't offer as offense can be taken.
Bingo!

That's what I'm here for, not sure what the point of posting in a photo forum is other than to get feedback.
Test images, showing a particular technique, be that lighting, or camera operations, demonstrating something like what perspective is, showing how DOF varies with parameters, noise testing, object tracking, showing what focal length or exposure settings are needed for certain objects, processing techniques, and so on.

You know - education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back