DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Digilux 2

Although I have not used an EVF before, I wonder if one advantage over an OVF would be that one could see the depth of field instead of visualizing based upon experience. Is this true? Then again, the DOF will be much greater anyway with the smaller sensors so maybe this advantage is limited. My 2=A2. Scott

Leica has just updated its web site to include a lot more information on the Digilux 2, and significantly, it includes a portfolio of photographs taken with a D2. I have to say that I'm much impressed by what I see there, and it makes me all the more keen to get my hands on a D2 to test drive it myself.

Hello Philip. I agree that looks scrumptious. I still wonder about the electronic viewfinder though but I am looking forward to trying it when the camera is in the shops.
John

One thing that occurred to me is I wonder if the pictures displayed on the Leica web site have been manipulated in Photoshop. A big plus for me would be if the pictures were fine straight from the camera - like well exposed slides where you know pretty well what the result will be from an individual film when you take it without any post operative surgery.
John

Hi John.
You may find original pics here:
http://www.leicafan.de.tf/
Best,

63300.jpg

Thanks LCT,
I think that these are the most impressive digital pictures I have ever seen, albeit on a computer screen. Every pore is visible -excellent. This could be the digital camera I have been waiting for. People decry Leica for collaborating with Panasonic but perhaps they forget that the CL was as the result of collaboration with Minolta in the 1980's. I don't think that anyone says that the CL was not a great camera - not that I have any personal experience of it.
Best regards,
John

John,
I agree: the rendering of skin tone and texture, as well as the subtlety of the light in these portraits is extraordinary, as is the handling of the colour intensity and contrast in the outdoor pics. Assuming that these do represent the images direct from the D2, they are very, very impressive.

Re John Strain's comments on the CL

Frankly, having owned a CL since about 1973, I would say that it is by far the worst camera ever to bear the Leica/Leitz names - Unreliable, uneconomic to repair, and Leitz wanted an outrageous sum of money to recalibrate it to use a non-mercury cell

My 1938 IIIb, and 1950s IIf, are still going strong without needing any attention

Philip,
That's the thing, I wonder if the pictures have been improved in the computer but nonetheless they do look good. I am certainly looking forward to trying it.
John

Back