DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Need help with m series

Dale: I don't think I have heard the pros and cons of the M vs. R systems explained any better, or more concisely. Having both systems as well, the only thing I might add is that the Trielmar lens, although some what slow, is the perfect travel lens. Carried with the 35/1.4 Asph and perhaps the 21Asph one can record virtually anything needed.

Elliot

Elliot

My two cents: I don't think Leica are famous for their SLRs. For amazing lens quality and not a lot of money try the Olympus OM series cameras + Zuiko lenses. A lot of M users also have OM setups - I do and changing between the two systems is pretty easy.

Hope this helps,

Vishal

Dear Vishal,
There are a few informed people who consider the Leicaflex series to be the reflex version of the M3, however Leica is famous for it's reflex lenses. Camera dealers tell me they quickly sell ever second-hand one that is part traded. The professionals are adapting them to digital cameras where they display the superiority for which they are famous.

To follow-up on your Olympus remark, on a visit to Wetzlar in 1975 I was told that Leitz considered the only challenge came from Zuiko lenses, however that was only as to optical performance. Other than Zeiss, IMHO no one makes lens-mounts as well as Leica.

Kind regards,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Could you elaborate why Leitz consider the challenge came from Zuiko and not Zeiss in terms of optical performance ?

Oh dear - I think my comments may have upset a few folks! Sorry, that was not my intention! I too love Leica however I think I am true in saying that most professionals use Leica for their M series cameras. For SLR - pros use Canon and Nikon. I am using professional photographers as the benchmark here as their kit is abused and they are the true commenters of which kit serves the best purpose. I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in kit - I particularly dislike those who are armchair photographers - there is nothing wrong with that - its just that I do not wish to be classed as such.

It makes me sad to think that a proportion of Leica kit will never be used to actually make photographs. Just a personal point. I think at the end of the day one must use kit which they feel good with. I switched from Contax SLR to Leica - the first time I used my M3 I hated it, I thought it was slow and not for me. I lived with it for a while. I sold the M3 and got an M6 - I was in love. It worked for me... its true to say that I didn't realise what I was holding when first using the M3 - I was only 19 years old and didn't realise what the M3 stood for. I do now and think back to the M3 days, although I wouldn't swap the MP for anything.

To sum up - my advice to folks wanting to get into the Leica system; whether it be M or R is to make sure it works for them. I know many folks who regard Leica users as not serious photographers - I think they are wrong, however I do feel that their are those out there for whom being a Leicaphile is all about owning the right kit - as they say, 'all the gear, no idea'.

Just my two cents - if what I have written offends anyone - please be sure this is NOT my intention. I am merely speaking my mind, however what I have written, I think to a certain point is true. Basically, in one line, what I am saying is that make sure you MAKE photographs which you and others enjoy; regardless of the kit you own.

To the defence of the OM system - the lenses are great, super sharp in their own ways and the actual cameras are small, small enough to compare with Leica's M system.

Best wishes of the season to all,

Vishal

Dear Joseph,
The conversation was thirty years ago, and I have forgotten the context of the discussion. It is just the remark about Zuiko lenses that surprised me and was memorable. I would have thought Zeiss lenses were a challenge, but at about that time the Contarex line was all but finished. Sorry I cannot add more.
Regards,
Justin

Back