DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Colour filters

K

kalloui

I use an R4s with lenses 19mm, 50mm, 80mm + 180mm. Although I use uv, I've always preferred not to use the usual light colour filters, e.g. yellow, orange etc. & maybe modern b&w films, like Kodak Tmax 100, don't really need them. I'd welcome any views/comments.

Modern film still requires filters under same conditions as the old ones, i.e. red and green show the same shade of grey. To separate, use a red or green filter.

To darken a blue sky, not some hazy overcast one, a yellow, orange, or red are required.

Modern film still requires filters under same conditions as the old ones, i.e. red and green show the same shade of grey. To separate, use a red or green filter.

To darken a blue sky, not some hazy overcast one, a yellow, orange, or red are required.

I totally agree with the sentiments expressed here. I use a Yellow K1, Yellow K2, Light Orange and a Light red for B&W work and although Leica say that a UV is unnecessary I use one for Kodachrome work mainly to protect the front element of my Summicron lenses.

I find B&W filters to be very good quality and I am happy to recommend them

Back