DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G1 or G2

S

spluff

Hello All,

I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the G Contax range. I've been through a few threads on the forum but I cannot work out how much better a G2 over a G1 is. In the UK, a second hand mint G1 costs about £300 and a second hand mint G2 costs about £500. Is it worth paying the difference?

For what it is worth I found the Leica M3 too heavy for me but the Bessa R about right. I'm not sure how they compare in terms of handling against the G1 and G2 - so any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Saras

Saras,
I considered the G1 myself but after doing some research went with the G2. I've always been a fan of manual focus, but I love the speed and accuracy
of the G2 auto-focus. From my research...it's definitely faster than the G1.

As far as feel of the camera.... I've
used a variety Nikon SLR's for years and nothing has ever felt so intuitive in my hands as
my G. I can not compare to the Leica or Bessa, but I do like the solid, weighty feel of the G.

Incidentally, I thought of buying a G1 as second body, but still bought a second G2 instead.

Hi Saras,

I have both the G1 & G2, and use them equally. They are both fine cameras. The G1 IS noticeably smaller. The G2 has a higher shutter speed (6000 vs 2000, and flash 200 vs 100), I believe higher drive speed, and can take a full function datA back, where the G1 can only take a datE back. I don't notice any difference in the autofocus ability, and I don't use manual focus at all. The G2 does have some advantages, and I'd suggest you take a look at the advantages, and see if they are anything you need. There is a decent comparison here:

http://www.central-camera.com/contax/g_series/g1_g2_comp.htm

Any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Regards,

Austin

I've used the G1 and the G2 side by side. The autofocus speed (and perhaps ability) is much higher in the G2 -- and it is very noticable. I sold the G1 because of it.

progress.gif

I have both in UK (i am Italian) a Contax G 1 for 150 pounds on E-Bay, in condition B+ with "Green label"......is a fantastic camera!!
I use the Contax with the 45mm Zeiss and i am very very happy!!!
wink.gif

Saras:

The options and custom functions of the G2 make it a very versatile and useful tool that will make photographs under varied conditions with ease.

You have in your hands an opportunity to select a number of variables, for focus, exposure, frames/second, compensation, bracketing, and flash that will allow you the control you desire. It looks, feels, and sounds good, and better yet works great. The metering system is very accurate, as it's compensation. Continuous focusing also works well, and the distance reading measurements are very good.

Good Shooting:

Gilbert

Gilbert,

"The options and custom functions of the G2 make it a very versatile and useful tool that will make photographs under varied conditions with ease. ... You have in your hands an opportunity to select a number of variables..."

As the question was G1 vs G2, which ones of these "options" do you not have with the G1? I believe both the G1 & G2 have the same focus options (single, continuous and manual), both have bracketing, both have compensation and both have the same flash options. Of course, some of these options operate slightly differently, but I believe they are all there. Am I mistaken?

Regards,

Austin

A bit about my experience regarding the same dilemma.

I was struggling between purchasing a G1 or G2, and did the appropriate research reading posts on this site, contaxg.com and a few other places. From what I was reading, the G1 sounded like a problem-ridden camera with focusing, noise and speed issues.

I was pretty set on getting the G2, but an opportunity came up where I was able to get a G1 for really cheap. So I seized the deal and crossed my fingers. When I got the camera and put a couple rolls through it, I was surprised at what a remarkable piece of equipment this is. It's build quality is superb, it's small, and most importantly it takes great pictures.

The thing is, I don't disagree about the problems people have with this camera. In fact, using the camera, I find I run into the same issues. That said, the issues are all things that I can live with/work around. They aren't, to me, critical flaws with the camera.

If the G1 is any indication, I'm positive that the G2 is a superb camera. That said, if you want to save some money, the G1 is a great camera and can hold it's own.

Hello to All who have responded to my intial query. Many thanks for your thoughts and comments - they have all been very valuable. One thing that came through was the passion you all felt for this great series of cameras and I have decided to join the fraternity.

I have decided to go for a G1 - on the grounds that it is lighter and it is cheaper. I'm looking to carry it with me most of the time - so if it picks up a few knocks I won't feel too guilty if I hadn't spent so much on it. So, at this moment I'm tracking a few items on ebay!!

My only dilemma, though, is should I go for the 35mm or the 45mm. Sorry to call on everyone's expertise - but can anybody point me in the right direction? Typically, when I have used rangefinders I've tended to shot at the wide end - usually between 25mm and 40mm - but I don't have a preference either way. And as a second lens would the 90mm be a good idea?

Thanks once again,

Rgds, Saras

Saras,
There are many people on this board perhaps more qualified than I to respond, but I've found the 35mm to be a more versatile lens than the 45. I had both and sold the 45 as it saw little use compared to the 35mm.

Mark Edwards

Back