DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Focusing screens for R6

G

Hello friends, just got on this forum for the first time. I recently traded my M equipment (too much difficulty focusing because of aging eyesight) for a R6, with 50 'Cron and older 28 Elmarit. My questions concern the focusing screen:

1) - It looks a bit dark to me. It's the matte (I think) with grid lines. How can I remove it, and then clean it? Do I need special tweezers?
2) - What would be the clearer screen you would recommend? I don't like the microprism-split-image kind.
3) - What about Beattie screens? Would I have to recalibrate the meter?

Thank you.

You can remove the screen using the tab near the lens mount. While it is possible to remove and replace it without the special tool Leica provides, I would not reccomend it, since scratches are quite possible and are unrepairable once incurred.

Cleaning the screen is not for amateurs. If you have a lot of dust and specks you should have it cleaned by Leica, otherwise you can end up adding MORE dust, not removing it. (I learned this the hard way)

Leica offers several different screens, though I believe the split image will be the brightest. Many users prefer the "ground glass" screen, with no grids or fresnel focus spot. They are very easy to focus with high aperture or tele lenses.

I have tried the Beattie screens. They are brighter in the center, but have BAD vignetting at the outer regions of the frame. I prefered the Leica sourced screens. (Not sure who actually MAKES these screens, could actually be Beattie)

Since the meter in your R is below the mirror and not in the prism head the screen used will not effect your meter readings.

Best Wishes
Dan States
Grand Forks ND

Dear Olivier,

The universal screen which came with the camera originally is the brightest.

If you order one from Leica (part # 14 343) it comes with the necessary special tweezers, dust brush for cleaning and instructions.

From personal experience I can assure you it is easy.

Best wishes,

Justin

Olivier, I'm surprised to hear about your difficulty focussing with the M6. I own or have owned, all manner of Leica reflexes from Leicaflex to R6. I have also owned or own M's from M3 to M6.In addition I have Contax S2b an 645. The easiest by far to focus without any doubt is the M6. So bright and clear. I also need to wear glasses when not using my cameras. Only the Leicaflex SL2 came near to my M6 for clarity, but then the M was still superior. Rangefinder cameras are great available light cameras, (easy focussing in dim light conditions)that is there forte!
Colin

Thank you for your help, guys.Justin, isn't the universal screen you refer to the one with center microprism and split image? If, yes, that's the one I dont really care for. Do you happen to know the reference number of the one with only grid lines and the center circle? Thank you. Colin, I was surprised too ;-) But I have farsightedness and astigmatism and I suppose the size of the VF in the M was one of the issues. Also, there must be an optical formula at play, here. If I remember well, a mirror (like in an SLR prism housing) will form a virtual image «behind» itself at a straight angle to and at the same distance as the real object. Of course, this is reduced by the lens in the viewfinder, but maybe the resulting virtual image is formed at a comfortable distance for farsightedness. Of course, a dioptric corrector will help, but not for astigmatism. I have always felt more comfortable with SLR's, and cn focus them a little faster than the M. Too bad, I love the M. But I also like the R6.

Universal screen with microprism around the spilt-image(replacement) 14 343

Uniform ground-glass screen (with central microprism) 14 344

Microprism screen 14 345

Uniform ground-glass screen with grid divisions 14 346

Clearglass screen with crosslines 14 347

> Viewfinder problems ==============================================================

For many years Leica ( and others also ) sold blank eyepiece rings so that you could have yyour optometrist prescribe a lens for astigmatism. You should check ito it.

Justin,

"That enquiry should be directed to:

TS@leica-camera.com"

could you please give more information about this e-mail address. Who is this and what he/she is in charge for?

I do not find it a good idea to post an e-mail addresses on the web without these details since we do not want to cause massive e-mails to unknown people. Employees at Leica would appreciate that too, I am sure
happy.gif

Thanks for your understanding.

Dirk

Back