DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

Gilbert,

The new Kyocera Contax site for USA does not any any reference. But the new Kyocera Contax site for UK and Japan still have the ND listed. That's why I was confused and posted the question a while back.

The contaxndigital site has the same look and feel of the new Kyocera Contax site. However, I think it is built by a third party, or out of date, or for UK??

Albert.

It doesn't appear to be a third party site since it says Copyright 2003 Kyocera Yashica (UK) Limited on the bottom left of the main page.

Also note, it is identical to the Contax site for the UK at this address.

http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/

It appears they have just bought two domain names (at least) and are making the site available under both addresses.

As for why the ND is there, I don't know. I find that confusing. Maybe they have such a large stock of them left that they hesitate to say it is discontinued or else no one will buy them? -Lynn

Lynn,

Both domains (contaxndigital.com & contaxcameras.co.uk) are registered to the same web design company in UK (not Kyocera. Don't know why). However, actual physical address is different (at least on file). For contaxndigital.com its registered under:
Online Designs UK Limited
26 Oakthorpe Road
Oxford, Oxfordshire OX2 7BE
GB

for contaxcameras.co.uk:
Online Designs UK Limited
1st Floor
1 Royal Crescent
W11 4SL

www.contaxcameras.co.uk and www.contaxndigital.com - both point to the same system (same IP address).

So, it's definitely the same site, although not registered under Kyocera's name.

Mike.

" Maybe they have such a large stock of them left that they hesitate to say it is discontinued or else no one will buy them? -Lynn "

I think Lynn is right about that. But then, if there are still a large ND stocks in UK or Japan, when don't they sell them here in USA with a discontinued item price. After looking around and for my own situation, I would not mind to pay $4500 for the new ND body.

It would be not fair to the persons who paid $7000. But that's how the digital world or discontinued item work.

I think in last year or earlier this year's Contax Days, B&H was selling the ND for less than $5500 after the discount and rebate.

In second thought, I think the quality of the ND is not up to the expectation level that any USA dealers want to deal with it anymore, i.e. returns

I don't think that there is any large stock of ND's anywhere in the UK. One or two dealers are still advertising them at around £4,500 sterling which equates to around $7,000. If anyone is tempted drop me a line and I will point you in their direction.

The last 'Boxed - As New' I saw on eBay barely exceeded $2,000 and did not meet reserve. A good used one went for $1,600 on a European site.

With the competition now coming in at sub $1,000 complete with lens I would expect any dealer still holding an ND in stock to be fairly flexible.

Hi Folks,

I spoke to a dealer in the UK today - and I have been told that a Contax Digital was imminent - until Canon brought out their sub-£1000 digital camera - and threw their whole pricing policy out of threw window. Now, it would appear there is nothing planned for the immediate future. So folks, I suppose it is a N1 Digital for the moment!!

As an aside, I tried out the new Aria today - what a gorgeous camera!!

Have a Good Weekend!!

Saras

>I am very curious how many Dutch Contax TVS-digital-users read these messages! Yours truly, -Michel Ball

Hello everyone,
The new Jacobs Photo and Video catalogue - link www.jacobs-photo.co.uk - lists the Contax N Digital at "Our Price: £3829.78 (£4,499.99 inc. VAT)"
This is the latest Winter 2003 catalogue.
John

Back