DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

P.S. It also advertises it as a"new" SLR: quote attached below:

"Our Price: £3829.78 (£4,499.99 including VAT at 17.5%)

Stunning new SLR featuring full-frame 35mm format 6.29 megapixel CCD.
Emphasis on quality with Carl Zeiss T* lenses.
Zero lens magnification so wide angle lenses are true wide angle.
Includes 512mb Lexar High Speed CompactFlash card."

According to a report posted on Popphoto.com today, Kyocera is temporarily suspending development of DSLR to concentrate on compact digital camera. But the report also says in parentheses that Kyocera is considering a cheaper APS-sized sensor DSLR for the future.

Now, the original rumor that had started this thread spoke of a $1,500US Contax DSLR. Together with this recent report from Popphoto.com, it seems that Contax is putting a professional DSLR(ND2 or whatever) on hold while pushing for a 1.5x crop-factor APS sensor DSLR, probably based on NX.

Whether this reports comes across as a disappointment or no, I'm not sure. But my initial enthusiasm for a cheap Contax DSLR has waned considerably. I'll probably stick with my N film gear for 2004.

I can't ell you how angry this makes me. I'm not a guy that curses but I'm thinking about a thousand of them. I would write them personally but as w e all know from personal experience the disregard email. I can’t afford to start all over. I've invested too much into the N system to sell it as others would have me do for Canon but what am I to do? How hard is it for Kyocera to put out a DSLR? I'm not asking for the world here. I would eve n settle for a 6 megapixle DSLR if it just worked. I don't need all the be lls and whistles of Canon & Nikon. It’s not why I bought a Contax to beg in with, its image quality, that’s it. F@#$%K!

Ok, I'm done venting now, Sorry, Gavin

>>How hard is it for Kyocera to put out a DSLR? I'm not asking for the world here.

You maybe are asking for the world, given the past track record of Kyocera.
happy.gif
Just sell your N stuff now and minimize your loss. I for one don't need DSLR or want one yet, so I can still live with N. Heck, I'm even considering buying a 6x7 camera. But if you do need digital for your job or any other reason, probably better to act now than later.

It is upsetting. I guess that If one needs digital NOW, he/she has to switch systems. For people who would like to have digital (I I am trying to "think positive" here), waiting means better sensors, better technology and lower prices. I would love a Contax DSLR (either C/Y or N), and I got into the N system looking forward to an affordable digital somewhere down the road, but I decided a few months ago that I can wait as long as it takes. (If it never happens, that's too bad).

Looking at some projected slides made the decision of waiting easier...
Juan

Gavin, easy now, don't make a mistake in the passion of the moment. If you don't need a DSLR for a specific reason, then secure a N1, shoot film and get a really good scanner.

Your real investment is in Zeiss glass. IMO, the loss it would represent on the used market would be far greater than purchasing a high res. dedicated film scanner.

I say this because I just went through all my wedding work for the past 4-5 years to rebuild my web site, and discovered that many of my finest shots were done with Contax N1 with N lenses and 645 glass via NAM-1 adapter, and my Leica M cameras.

As heavy as I am into digital, for me film is not a dead issue.

Perhaps we will all be better off if Kyocera waits on a new full-frame DSLR. That will allow more time for the sensor suppliers to develop better full-frame sensors and to improve yields.

I'd like a replacement ND sooner than later, too. It is, however, most important that Kyocera really gets the next DSLR right.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this...

I WANT TO BUY ANOTHER ND BODY. I WAS IN CONTACT WITH ONE SELLER AND LOST HIS PHONE NUMBER.

CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE A MINT ND FOR SALE AND WE'LL TALK.

I heard a RUMOUR last night in a labs/photographers dinner party that Contax will produce a 12meg dSLR in 2005.

Anybody hear anything lately?

Back