DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DPR will live

So why change now they might think?

They said that as long as they archive the site, they will post here and there articles. I know "hope dies last", but see it from their perspective:

Probably all employees of DPreview got fired months ago. Also those, who wrote the reviews and articles. They all search now for new jobs. They might have time inbetween to write fast an article so the site is not looking totally dead, but 99% of their time they will try to find a new job. Nobody of them really cares anymore about DPreview. Life goes on.

Chris and Jordan start in May their new YouTube channel. They have already their contract with PetaPixel. I guess the contract of the others will also end on May 1st.

What we see now is only cosmetic. Not very good cosmetic. Otherwise you would have had already an announcement and more transparency.

Hope dies last, but reality will nevertheless kill also the last hope. It is not a question of "if", it is only a question of "when".

I would like to add to the previous post.

There's also the factor of loss of reputation. If you promise something, do it. If dpreview is not even closed down, it will never be the same again as it was before.

Regarding the creation of a read-only archive of dpreview. It's been so long since it was announced that several such archives may already have been made.

So there is a painful process of fading away or transforming into something new (which is highly unlikely). They have 4 months left until domain expiration (Registry Expiration Date: 2023-08-11T15:22:32Z)

My participation there is down 95%. I have made two comments on older threads so they are there for future reference if indeed the site gets archived. Until it is shut down it likely still gets more traffic than all the other forum options. I have read that it is being kept alive until it can be archived. However, there is no point abandoning it totally if there is a chance it will survive. Only a tiny fraction of active members has migrated to one of the replacement sites, like this one, so it remains important to keep tabs on developments.

Inside knowledge for over the other side of the fence that I think is fair to divulge is that the staff of dpr are also unaware of just how long the doors will be kept open - there is talk of 'archiving' but I don't know just what is being archived. But I have no feedback that the site is going to be other than closed down eventually.

But they are still getting new members and threads are being started and contributed to.

Smaller forums have become shells and even the normally very busy M4/3 forum is probably (guess) at only 50% of it regular daily volume.

Unfortunately moderators have had to be firm with some rascally types who thought the end of the dpr world might pose a good opportunity to have some fun as the Titantic sinks without enough lifeboats.

Greetings DPR Forum people
I don't go there as most of the people I know are here or the L-mount forum.
Have fun
Roger

It’s a bit strange, there are still new DPR Members joining in March/April/May 2023, why would anyone join DPR at this time? Before could close for good…

It’s a bit strange, there are still new DPR Members joining in March/April/May 2023, why would anyone join DPR at this time? Before could close for good…

I think most people do not look at the announcements at DPreview. So they do not kow, that DPR will close. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

This is why it is so important to inform people at DPR, that it will be closed and that they can find your here at DPRF. You can do this for example in your signature at DPR. That is officially allowed and some do it already.

From the time of the DPR announcement, I’ve joined here, DPR Alumni (x2), DPRevived. I’ll focus on one or two. There were other DPR Forums as well.

There is one site for the Camera Database.

The DPR "someday we'll close" period has been so long that quite a few visitors have shown up in PC Talk, had fairly complex matters discussed and problems solved by our remaining regulars. Might as well carry on until the end.

Back