DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hey

After being in college for two quarters and having many friends with Pentax DSLRs (why Pentax Kx's who knows) and after playing around with their cameras, I've decided to get into photography myself! Before taking the plunge, I spent two weeks with my dinky Canon 510 point-and-shoot taking pictures and know that this goes beyond just a whim. During spring break, I did some research and when my dad found out, he showed me his Olympus OM-2 and I instantly went on the web to find out of lens adapters existed. And so they did. I was going to settle on something from the Olympus Pen line for nostalgia's sake, but the lack of viewfinder put me off so I looked deeper. My friend from high school shoots Canon and pointed me towards the EOS line and the shots from the current Rebel paired with OM lenses looked promising. I dug a little deeper then found Sigma. My jaw dropped. Luis and his line of mount converters for the Sigma DSLRs took me from the scary idea of manually modifying a Pentax to forking out $200 for a clean Sigma conversion. I can live with that.

Anyways, I don't have the funds for a camera at the moment but I will be on the look-out for a cheap SD14 and if that never comes, I will be eagerly awaiting the launch of the SD1 so the price of SD15s will start to drop.

Welcome! I've owned and shot Canons dating back to the A-1 in 1981. However I recently bought a Sigma SD14, and while they are not for everyone I really enjoy mine. Fewer bells, fewer whistles, but it encourages you to be more of the process. When the SD1 comes out, I just might have a SD14 available. Or perhaps a few Canons... ;-)

Back