DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1

> Hi Andrew

I am a retired aviation/defence photojournalist now living in Spain. I read your e-mail with great interest, as the owner of Contax N1, G2 and T3 systems. I changed over from a complete Canon kit, as I no longer needed the facilities the cameras provided, and I wanted AF throughout for my worsening eyesight. I also wanted to carry less weight, and have Zeiss glass through the entire range of cameras. The N1 suits my present needs just fine. I agree with you about the manual focussing on the G2s, but hey - if you need the lenses, you have to take the rest with them. Even Leica (I used Ms and Rs for 45 years) is not perfect for everyone. BUT - I would agree with every one of your Cons from the point of view of a working pro. If I were still working, I would have stuck with the Canons, and would have binned the EOS 3s in favour of the EOS 1V. Contax does not have the lenses for a pro - yet. They still have work to do on the flash system, although the TLA 360 is a good copy of the Nikon SB-25 or whatever that model was. I use a Metz 54MZ3 with my N1, and it does all I want right now. But what I am doing is faffing about as a retired pro who still needs something to exercise an itchy trigger finger. If you cannot try out the gear by renting, stay with Canon while you are working, because in your working career you will undoubtedly need the digital bodies, and you shouldn't even be considering the N Digital, judging by what I read on this website. I hope this helps. I am a loyal Contax user, and am having fun in the sun with the Contax gear, but work with it all ? Hell no. Hurrah for Canon, although I disagree with you on the instinctive handling. The best thing on the N1 is the control knob system, instead of those pesky little buttons. Albest, Robin

Hi! There, It is quite sometime now since I last posted 22nd July to be exact. I have now had the time to examine a few results from my N1 with the 24-85mm lense, which I find are very good.
As a previous user of the AX, and in particular the RX,and quite a few prime lenses, I am a little like Robin Adshead, and have still have a great feeling for the RX, a belting little camera,which with the prime lenses give wonderful results.
I also have the 70-300 which I have only used on two occasions,which has now planted a little seed in my mind to revert back to the RX, with the following lenses:-
Distagon 28mm f2.8
Distagon 35mm f1.4
Planar 50mm f1.4
Planar 85mm f1.4
As I no longer have much of an interest in Wildlife,but more in the line of portraits, and landscape, I thought that the above system would suit my requirements.
Another thought is that I cannot really justify the differential in the price of the N System lenses,against the quality of the MM lenses, as against that of the N system. The results that I had with my initial setup with the RX,and that of the N1, to me was Very, Very, minimal.
By the way, as I usually set my stall out as to what I am likely to photograph before I set out, I usually only take a couple of lenses, as at the prime age of 74 yrs, weight is a bearing factor.
Does anyone on the site have any advise to offer before I go back to the RX.
Kind Regards. Ken Taylor.

> Let's get somethings straight about the N1.

> 1)As Dirk mentioned, the auto focus is quite good. I have not used the Nikon F5, or the Canon EOS 1 or 3, but have used the Elan series. > The autofocus is as good or better than the Elan and probably good enought for most photographers for 98% of their shots. >

2) The film is not typically scratched in the N1. My N1 has NEVER given me this problem.

3) The N1 is a very solid camera. Great lenses. And should be for MOST photogprahers a great body for a great system.

michael.

hi Andrew/Andy:

if you are still pondering your Canon-Contax decision...I made that about a year ago when I dumped my Nikon N90s and lenses to go with Contax N1+ 24-85, and now also 70-200 and TLA360 flash. To give some personal comments on your points:
pro: agree with all
con:
1. never used the 17-35 myself but read Cdi (arguably the best phot-testing magazine): the new reference for this class of zooms
2. range of lenses is/will soon be F50/85/100/400/17-35/28-80/24-85/70-200/70-300
that's maybe limiteed but SURELY there must be something you like
3. TLA360 flash gives excellent results and is very easy to use (I had Nikon flash)
4. Ndig - well, who knows who is leading and who is not. chips still change (CMOS now, I guess versus CCD) and it is still way too expensive for me compared to what film gives
5. Scratched films??!!? Come on, that's something you need to take with a grain of sand (pun intended). There are no scratching backplates in the design, that's silly. Just because one person has dust in his camera doesn't mean we all have it!try putting some sand in your 10-year old canon and see what happens (I admit it has happened to me with my Nikon too; we're only human in dusty conditions)
6. support - I dunno; I live in the USA but I have never needed their support.

By the way, the slides I have taken with the 24-85 and 70-200 are absolutely gorgeous and I there say that the colors of the 24-84 are prettier (velvety smooth contrast and very sharp) to my eye than my Nikon glass!

Cheers

RAS

As for the scratched slides, the culprit seems to be my lab. The camera is one week old and has only seen the sudio - not much dust there.

Hi Adrian, I totally agree with you that"Canon's (in my case Maxxum 9) fast responsive AF that always gets the shot(much higher rate)than Contax N1 (for fast action). Maybe the image is not as contrast as as the Contax image but less than perfect image is better than no image."

Two years ago, I was so so disappointed when I fisrt tested the NEW N1 and found out the AF speed is too slow. I did not buy it at that time. I purchased the N1 recently because of the FREE NAM1 adapter promotion which I can use my 645 lenses via this adapter for the N1. I shoot a lot of wildlife photograpy. I did some comparison between the N1 and my Minolta 9 for close up flying birds. The result came out as I had predicted two years ago. Almost all the nicely composed, sharp images were captured by Minolta 9(w\200-2.8G). I have not much luck with the N1(w/70-200N) for flying birds. Now, I carry both the N1 and the Maxxum 9 for most of my outdoor photography . Now, I use the N1 for scenery and the M9 for moving objects. My bag is so heavy. Well, what can I do -- I love Carl Zeiss lenses. Dear Kyocera, please produce a fast AF speed camera soon to save my back.

"Just as a reminder: Since the AF speed of N1 is at least as fast as a Minolta Maxxum 9xi or a Nikon F4 I wonder why nobody compliant about the AF speed ot these two cameras at that time."

Dear Dirk, maybe I can answer your delimma. I don't own the 9xi or the F4. The Minolta Maxxum 9xi was released in 1991. At that time I beleive, ultral fast-Af speed like the Canon EOS 3 or the F100 is not fully developed yet. Eleven years ago , the AF speed of these two cameras were as most photographers expected . It is unfair for you to compare the new 21 century N1's AF speed technology with the eleven years old Minolta 9xi AF technology. Yes, you are correct, the N1 is not a pro camera and should not compare with Canon or Nikon's top models. Be honest with you, the AF speed N1 can not even match the entry level of Minolta Maxxum 5.
Fast AF mean little to landscape and still life snappers but for sport, wildlife and paparazzi photographers extra fast speed could mean capturing the perfect moment. There are ten or even hunderd of thousands of these kinds of photographers out there. Actually, they are the most important ones. I can't beleive Contax excluded these groups of photographers for the N1 system. This is not a good begining for the N system. They are the ones who really have great influence in the photography world--they are the ones who can promote or make a brand popular( and it's free).

Hi Wai,

I understand your point, but answered this one in one of my other older N1 AF postings. The N-system is not going to be only N1 and NX in the long run. I do not think that Contax aimed the market you described (sport, wildlife and paparazzi)now already. Contax even does not offer the appropriate lenses for this target group, so why this fast AF is needed now?

This does not mean that I would not like to have had an even faster AF with the N1. It just means the target AT PRESENT for the N1 are the landscape/ normal action shooters. You see it with the lens choice, you see it with the AF speed. I am sure, as soon as Contax has the knowledge for a faster AF, they will also come out with faster lenses, more pro-focus. The knowledge for the lenses is already there but not for the AF speed.

I think the key-word here is "managing the expectations" of a buyer. If you offer fast lenses for the pro market right from the start, you have also to offer top notch AF speed.

The old Minoltas and Nikons from 1991 made still excellent sharp pictures, even in wildlife etc. BUT people had to work for it, thinking about what they are doing. Nowadays you can use a Nikon F100 et al. as a P&S. Just point on it, click and do not care about light meter, focus, flash... you name it.

Since for me the pleasure is also in knowing what I am doing (or learning it), the N1 is with the AF fine for me.

dirk

I got my N1 today!!!! I am very excited, I got it with the 24-85, it looks very good, I'll go shoot some slides tomorrow and see how it goes, so far I like it a lot. I am happy!!!

P

Pauloks , Congratulations on your new purchase. I am sure you will find the N1/24-85 is one of the best combo money can buy.

I did buy a new toy yesterday in San Francisco Calumet. It was the Contax day and I could not miss out the great saving of the Contax645 outfit sold less that $2990 with the instant $300 rebate and additional discount. I also got a Polaroid back and other accessories with 10% discount. With these price, there is no reason for me to buy gray market stock.

I am so excited and cannot wait to dump my RZ67.

Back