DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SPP destroying X3F files

jesito

Hello colleagues,

When I started with the SD9, I was using Picasa. Enough for me in most cases, the version 3.0 keeps the EXIF info into the converted jpg files.
But I wanted to improve, and I installed recently SPP. What most puzzles me is that I've been losing the original X3F files after processing the pictures with SPP. Is this normal?. Should I keep a previous backup of the pictures before I process them with the SPP?.
I use to end with xxxxxx.X3F.jpf files and the original xxxxxxxx.X3F are gone...
That's not what I pretend. I'd like to keep an unretouched raw "digital negative" of all my pictures, for the case that in the future some new improved program or conversion algorithm could give me more from the same raw shot.
I've been unable to find an option in SPP for keeping the originals besides the conversion.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Jes.

Hi Jes,
there must be something wrong in your settings.
Usually SPP does not touch the original x3f unless you tell to do so(overwritingthe exif-data).
Converting should be xxxxxxxx.jpg or xxxxxxxx.tif and leave the xxxxxxxxx.x3f as is.
What version do you use? Only use SPP2.5 on an PC and 3,5 on a MAC.
Do not use 3.0 on a PC.
Regards
Uwe

Thanks Jim & Uwe for answering,

I use SPP 2.5 for Windows.

Probably there is something wrong in my setup. As Murphy says, "when everything else fails, read the manual". ;)
I'll be reading it throughly this afternoon.

Kind regards,
Jes.

Hi Jes,
before spending time in reading,why not go ahead and reinstall SPP?
Uninstall your version first and then install it again and leave the presets.
Maybe you use a new download from Sigma hp.
Good luck
Uwe

Hi Jes,
before spending time in reading,why not go ahead and reinstall SPP?
Uninstall your version first and then install it again and leave the presets.
Maybe you use a new download from Sigma hp.
Good luck
Uwe
Thanks, Uwe.
I'll do it!.

Jes.

Well, I've found the problem.
The culprit is not DPP as I was supposing. The culprit is the new "retouch" function inside PICASA. It's a very easy tool to clone blemishes, dust and schratches from the pictures... But it destroys the original RAW, from any source (I've just destroyed a .PEF Pentax Raw File).
So thanks for your help, but at the end I was wrong pointing up to DPP.

Kind regards,
Jes.

Back