CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New M9040 Macro Lens

admin

Hi folks,

trhere will be obviously a new Macro lens for the M-System. A 90/4.0 Macro

Here is an image which we got from the Leica site:

50933.jpg

(You can see it not in your text-only e-mail, only live in the forum by clicking on the link at the buttom of the e-mail)

jay

> What a silly waste of Leica's precious R&D funds. The few people ambitious > enough to use an M for macro probably already own a Visoflex, or could get > one for around $100 and mount any 90mm lens to it. This new lens is @ $1200 > *plus* $750 for the macro attachment and it only goes to 50cm which is 1:3 and > therefore not macro at all.

mattinasi

> While I don't consider it a true macro, I like this lens very much! I'd love to be able to focus to 0.5 meters with a 90 on my rangefinder, and the 1:3 repro is just fantastic. I also love the small size of this lens, but losing a stop (I have a 90 2.8 now) would be a slight drawback. I think I'd prefer the close focus ability to the stop though, so I really look forward to trying this lens.

- marc

lvd

Jay,

There is a market for a 90/4 the size of a 50/2, that you can put in =20 any pocket.

There is a market for a 90 which offer the greatest magnification ever =20=

offered by a Leica M lens.

There is a market for a 90 cheaper (without the adapter) than the =20 90/2,8 and the 90/2, with the same quality.

There is a market for the perfect lens for traveling light, a companion =20=

for the Tri-Elmar or for the 35/2.

The Visoflex is as heavy and cumbersome as the new lens is light and =20 compact.

Lucien

H

hektor

Dear Lucien,

The best summary of the 1:4/90 Macro(sic)-Elmar-M I have read so far.

Regards,

Justin

M

Mimi

LvD, great, finally somebody who see some positive aspects. I think this lens will find its market - hopefully many M users who actually use their camera and not only keep it in their original box (mint
happy.gif
). I see many uses, especially for hiking and travelling, when every gram counts.
Cheers,
Mimi

ruben_blaedel

>> LvD, great, finally somebody who see some positive aspects. I think > this lens will find its market - hopefully many M users who actually > use their camera and not only keep it in their original box (mint ). I > see many uses, especially for hiking and travelling, when every gram > counts. > Cheers, > Mimi

I am thinking of changing my 90c 4 to this new "macro" 90 - but how do I avoid faults focusing close ?

Regards

Ruben -

ellie

Well, regardless of the lenses used....The announcement today from Kodak that they are slashing their dividend to pay for a corporate emphasis on digital photography makes one begin to reflect on what the future holds for Leica. Yes I know there will always be film, and Leica photographers to use such film. Nevertheless, the problems associated with digital will be solved ( storage, cost, etc. ). Kodak needs to be where the "action is".

Elliot

M

Mimi

Ellie, what does this comment have to do with the new lens? Puzzled
uhoh.gif
Are you working for Kodak??

B

billpalmer

To me, this is an ideal travel lens. I can see myself carrying it in preference to my 90mm Tele Elmarit. I had a 90 collapsible years ago, and regret getting rid of it; I have a 50mm Elmar (latest version) now. This lens offers 90mm framing together with a sensible and reasonably practical handheld close-up facility, for a minimal penalty in lens speed - ideal.

Regards,

Bill

jay

> reasonably practical handheld close-up facility, for a minimal penalty > in lens speed - ideal.>>

I bet Leica's brochure blurb will say that almost verbatim...right before the $1300 pricetag and $750 for the macro tube.

>

B

billpalmer

Jay, if that turns out to be the case then I'd say the marketing people have done their job right for once.

Regards,

Bill

kajabbi

The is a comprehensive review of the new 90mm lens in Erwin Puts'Home page. The new lens is collapsible. Since I am a M5 user exclusively, that keeps me from getting one. I know I will cock the shutter before extending the lens, and my meter arm will be damaged.
That aside, the review is most interesting and the comparasons with other90/100MM leica lenses is startling. By the way, I have a munt collapsible 90MM that I no longer use.If anyone is interested, contact me off the forum.It includes both caps, hood, and hoodcap.