DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sony 20-70mm F4 - A few testshots

Tom Ames

A few testshots with the new 20-70mm. Pleased with is so far:

DSC05275 post.jpg

DSC05248 kodak.jpg
DSC05259 post.jpg

I have that lens on my 'watch list'. Used to have the original 24-70GM, but decided to sell it well in advance of the mark II. But am torn between the two of them. I haven't used both of them yet, but intend to rent them and compare somewhere in the next couple of months.

Interesting reviews. Thanks Dirk. I didn't see yet the first one. The one from Gerald I did see earlier on. That's also why it is on my list... :)

This lens sure looks promising. It would augment my Sigma 100-400mm lens very nicely! A 20 to 400mm two lens system sounds intriguing.

Really a great lens. I sold my Tamron 28-75 G2 for it.

I prefer wider than 28mm rather than F/2.8, but the Tamron was also very good.

Couldn't be happier with the 20-70G lens. Very sharp, well built, and the 20mm wide end is really nice! If I need to go wider, the Sigma 14-24 F/2.8 goes on my camera and I'm all set!

What about soft corners at wide angle? I have 24-105 G and the lens has upper left corner very soft at 24-28mm range.

Since Adobe does not support 20-70 properly, distortion correction (SDC) is not applied. So what are current owners using?
It seems that Iridient's S-Transformer supports the lens. I will likely have to convert all 20-70 images with it until Adobe support arrives.

Back