DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Vario lenses 35-70 against 28-85 or 28-70

G

Im interested in buying one of those lenses.The Zoom Range isn´t that important to me. The same to the aperture (i`m using a tripoid the most Time). Can anybody help ?? Christof

I owned the 28-85 for a few years and loved it, but eventually traded it in because I found it to be too big and heavy to allow always having the camera with me. I then used the tiny 45/2.8 for the next two years, until a few months ago when I bought the 35-70/3.4 zoom.

I find the 35-70 is a good compromise. It is small and light enough to allow me to always have the camera with me in a small camera bag. Also, it has a very nice macro mode, which is not available in the 28-85.

Although the 28-85 has outstanding image quality, I found it often quite hard to focus at the 28mm end in low light. I would crank the barrel back and forth, never quite sure if I had it in good focus or not. That annoyed me. I sometimes had to resort to scale focussing in those situations.

The 35-70 is easy to focus, and has slightly better image quality than the 28-85. I have a 28/2.8 to cover the situations where I need the wider angle of view.

If size and weight don't matter to you, go for the 28-85. If the size and weight is a problem, go for the 35-70. If you want to use a good macro mode, go for the 35-70.

I never used the 28-70, so I can't offer any comment on that. The main reason I didn't get interested in the 28-70 is because I prefer the one touch zoom. I don't like using a separate zoom ring and focussing ring. It isn't efficient. That's just my preference. Some people prefer the two touch zoom and focus.

Thank you ! I had the chance to have a look at the 35/70 and the 28/85 at my lokal Contax dealer.
The 28/85 makes it not easy to focus at 28 mm. In the sales room i had to put the lens to 85 mm to focus correctly before changing to 28 mm.
The 35/70 was much easier to use

Okay. If you buy the 35-70, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have got some great images with mine. Good luck.

Hello,

Is the 35-70mm discontinued? B&H no longer have it on their website... Only the 28-70, 28-85, 35-135.

Was it in similar price range of the 28-70? I would prefer a constant maximum aperture and the one-touch zoom.

...DN

Hello,

35-70mm is discontinued.

Does anyone know the quality of 40-80, Germay made lens ?

Lomy

It is new for me that the 35-70 should be discontinued. I have to check this first, before I can comment this. As long as there is no valid source for this, it is only a rumour for me...

dirk

Hello,

Hmmm... I don't know, so far B&H, Adorama, and Cameraworld here in the US do not make any mention of 35-70...

Was it in similar price range of the 28-70 or more money?

Does anyone have opinions of the 28-70 please? It is at a very good price if bought in a kit with the Aria or RX.

But I assume that on these cameras aperture is set from the aperture ring on the lens, so would it be inconvenient on a lens with variable maximum aperture? Or does one just ignore the lowest aperture selection when you at tele?

Also at what focal legnths does the maximum aperture change?

Thanks.

...DN

As long as you're using your cameras inbuilt exposure meter[TTL] then the variable max. aperture will be taken care of . If you're using a handheld meter or something you need to be a little more careful .....
Steve

I love my 28-85 for landscape and architecture. I would stay away from the 28-70. I think it is a cheaper version and not worth the Contax name. I had it and got rid of it fairly quickly. It just didn't seem sharp or vivid.

Any reports on the 35-70 for the G2. I have used mine a little and like it a lot. I tend to shoot at the higher aperture numbers for greater depth of field.

Back