DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Vario lenses 35-70 against 28-85 or 28-70

For what it is worth, Tamarkin lists the 35-70, but it was like finding a needle in a haystack. I would suppose that if you really want to order it, you could contact Tamarkin to see if it is really in stock.

Sincerely, Raymond C. Williams

Disregard the above post about the 35-70. As soon as I posted and went back to Tamarkin site, I realized it was about the Lecia R 35-70, not the Contax Zeiss 35-70. I really did do my search looking for Contax / Zeiss.

I must learn to measure twice and cut once!!!

The 35-70 is available at smilephotovideo.com, both USA and "Import" (grey). Price is $860 and $600, respectively. I contacted them earlier this week by email and it is available.
I decided to save money and get the 28-70 (they have it for $419). I really use 28 more than 35. I am sorry to hear the 35-70 is better; judging by the MTF curves I would have said they were quite similar (if anything, the 28-70 had the edge).

Dear Raymond and all others,

please are aware that this Contax Forum should not be used to make advertisement for photo-dealers. Therefore every link to a dealer or exagerated description of a dealer will be deleted.

There is a thin line bewteen sharing value added information and advertising and I hope that EVERY member is respecting this.

If you made above average experience with dealers you can put this in the dealer section. BUT remember, there must be a real reason to list the dealer there.

Thanks

dirk (webmaster)

Dirk:

Sorry if any rule was broken, but my intent was not to endorse one dealer or another, but only to add to the discussion that it does not appear that the 35-70 lens is available, at least with what we know to be a reputable dealer. It would seem that the others may have been attempting to do the same, but by necessity, mentioned a specific dealer, and thereby, inadvertently advertised.

I trust that in your research you will find that this lens has not been discontinued and those who want it will be able to obtain it and enjoy it!

Your work is very much appreciated. Continue to do good and even greater things with this site!

With apology,

Raymond

Hi there,

I have sent this message few hours ago. Seems it does not appear in Forum.

I had asked an authoried 'Agent' sometimes ago. They said that 35-70 was discontinued. I thought Dirk would work out the fact in German.

By the way, I am looking for the similar range of 28-70, 28-85, 35-70 and also the used 40-80.

Does any fellow have the experienced on using a 40-80 ?

Thanks,

Francis.

I tried the 40-80 in a shop. I didn't buy it because of it's poor minumum focusing distance of 1.2 metres. I needed something that can focus down to 60 cm or better. That's why I finally bought the 35-70. It has good close focus ability as well as a macro mode at the 35 mm end of the zoom.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried one in a second-hand shop. The 40-80 is very "mass". The feeling is very Contax. I also tried a 35-70, it is very light.

I still hesitate to decide to buy which one. I am a quite conservative guy and believed German made is better. Anyway, I will make decision sooner. Once I have whichever. I will tell the group the result.

Francis.

Okay. Good luck. You will get great images with either lens, so just decide which one is for you and end the agony of the indecision.
happy.gif

The 35-70 is said to be a LOT better than the 40-80...that's why it was replaced...

Back