DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The very cool thing about Contax

MaxBerlin

It seems like I am never wanting for anything when it comes to this collection of equipment. The accessories seem to be the most complete of any line ever created. And it seems there is thorough thought in each one and how it works with other pieces in the line. The precision is uncanny, a Contax extension tube set has better fit and feel then a Novoflex adapter made today.

The Contax line is amazing.

Extension tubes.

Hi Max,

Congratulations again on the new ext tubes. They can be used of course on any of your C/Y lenses, but have a greater effect as the focal length gets smaller. So for highest magnification use your 35mm/1.4 Distagon. On the other hand if you want to just want to get a little closer with a tele the shortest tube is just the thing.

I assume your adapter has a tripod mount, so the next thing to buy is a focusing rail if you don't have one. The trick to using this is to either focus on your subject or set the magnification you want and then in either case re-focus by moving the entire camera, tube and ring by moving the focusing rail. Move back and forth thru the focus point and you will see that some range appears to be in focus. Select the middle of this range as your focus setting. This will get you the sharpest focus. I would also recommend using the RMT-DSLR1 remote commander as the release to avoid any camera shake.

Another off-the-wall thing I do is to use that LED penlight in you bag or several of them to illuminate the close-up subjects. I bend up wire shirt hangers to mount them on.

Bill

Hi Max,

Congratulations again on the new ext tubes. They can be used of course on any of your C/Y lenses, but have a greater effect as the focal length gets smaller. So for highest magnification use your 35mm/1.4 Distagon. On the other hand if you want to just want to get a little closer with a tele the shortest tube is just the thing.

I assume your adapter has a tripod mount, so the next thing to buy is a focusing rail if you don't have one. The trick to using this is to either focus on your subject or set the magnification you want and then in either case re-focus by moving the entire camera, tube and ring by moving the focusing rail. Move back and forth thru the focus point and you will see that some range appears to be in focus. Select the middle of this range as your focus setting. This will get you the sharpest focus. I would also recommend using the RMT-DSLR1 remote commander as the release to avoid any camera shake.

Another off-the-wall thing I do is to use that LED penlight in you bag or several of them to illuminate the close-up subjects. I bend up wire shirt hangers to mount them on.

Bill

Have all the items mentioned above and have used it to good effect -exactly as mentioned above. The bellows unit is also excellent as well as the copy stand, rightangle finder and microscope adaptor. The quality of engineering and finish is unsurpassed !!

A macro I took with CY + Zeiss

34phwur.jpg

Macro Photo

Hi Max,

This shot looks good. The focus is right on. I don't know what f-stop you used, but stopping down a little bit to bring all of the stamens into focus would make this a really great shot.

Bill

Thanks - I may have a better focused version but it was really hard as this flower is only the size of a dime. Those little iridescent globules weren't even visible while trying to take the photo.

Macro Focus

Hi Max,

Max the focus is perfect. The problem is that macro shots have very little depth of field. If you're using film, then you need to do a depth of field preview to see what you have. On the NEX 7 use the manual focus button to view at a 5.9X mag.

Also apparent sharpness can be improved by using contrast enhancement in digital post processing.

To increase depth of field like the "BEE" picture, take the picture from farther away with either very hi res film or a very high MP sensor and the enlarge the center of interest.

For this picture i would try contrast enhancement. Personally I use Nik Softwares "Tonal Contrast" and "Contrast Only" filters. I have no relationship with Nik, I just find their product works in my workflow.

I hope this is helpful.

Bill

Macro

Hi Max,

If you're using a film camera in macro, you need toget an eyepiece magnifier (Contax accessory varies with model) to see the details of the focus and dof.

With the NEX use the manual focus button to get a 5.9X mag to see focus and dof.

Bill

Macro Focus

Hi Max,

Max the focus is perfect. The problem is that macro shots have very little depth of field. If you're using film, then you need to do a depth of field preview to see what you have. On the NEX 7 use the manual focus button to view at a 5.9X mag.

Also apparent sharpness can be improved by using contrast enhancement in digital post processing.

To increase depth of field like the "BEE" picture, take the picture from farther away with either very hi res film or a very high MP sensor and the enlarge the center of interest.

For this picture i would try contrast enhancement. Personally I use Nik Softwares "Tonal Contrast" and "Contrast Only" filters. I have no relationship with Nik, I just find their product works in my workflow.

I hope this is helpful.

Bill

Bill,

I almost always use the 5x and 11x setting when focusing - the problem was DOF as you mention and the issue of 3 extension tubes and a 50 or 85mm (can't recall) by the time I am on top of the flower (and I do mean ON TOP) the next issue was getting even light to the flower and still being able to see my screen well. The sell a little adapter at the local Wolf cam that turns the big screen into a covered viewfinder - that could of helped.

Light was scarce with the 3 tubes so I had to keep it open

But I can tell you - taking these shots I no longer need yoga classes - I have all sorts of poses now that they NEVER dreamed up.... "Praying man over tiny flower"

Wind was also an issue - the little guy moved back and forth and with the DoF issue no 2 parts were ever in focus.

Back