DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M42 to SD14 adapters

Well I just ordered a Polish adapter. Hopefully it works with my Vivitar 28/2.5 (don't see why it wouldn't). Now I just get to wait...

I just got the jtat adapter...

There's a local seller with M42:

Mamiya 200mm f3.5
Soligor 28mm 2.8
Yashica 50mm ??

but I'm hesitating...

Jason,
Did you get the one with the block or without? I emailed the seller on thebay and asked about infinity and he said it works. Then he mentioned he had one with a block and one without. Not sure what that was for. Tell me how it works out for you. I read on another forum that after the Jtat adapter that the Polish one is best.

Lee,
Did you get your Jtat from the website? I haven't heard or read much about it but apparently it's the standard.

I guess the only thing to watch out for with the adapters is the dust/IR filter and the contacts.

Looking forward to seeing some pics!!

Jason,
Did you get the one with the block or without? I emailed the seller on thebay and asked about infinity and he said it works. Then he mentioned he had one with a block and one without. Not sure what that was for. Tell me how it works out for you. I read on another forum that after the Jtat adapter that the Polish one is best.

From what I gathered from the ebay listing, the one with the block is the standard and it works with most lenses. Some lenses have a longer screw mount so they won't work with this one. That is what the other version without the block is for.

I got the standard one with the block. Not that it mattered though, since my lens has the A/M switch on it.

I got the Jtat from the website.

And, I got the depth guage they make - maybe that will help prevent using lenses that go in too far..

From what I gathered from the ebay listing, the one with the block is the standard and it works with most lenses. Some lenses have a longer screw mount so they won't work with this one. That is what the other version without the block is for.

I got the standard one with the block. Not that it mattered though, since my lens has the A/M switch on it.

Jason, you're correct. Good call on the one with the block. The only thing the other one is good for are a few older, more obscure lenses that I haven't seen many of. Had you gotten the one without the block, even though your lens has an A/M switch you risk that little aperture pin making contact with the Sigma contacts inside the body. That would be disastrous.

My 50mm f/1.4 SMC Takumar is having a bit of trouble reaching infinity because of the rear element hitting the dust filter. Don't really know what I'm going to do about that, actually. :(

What other lenses are people using?

-Collin-

Hi collin2424
Is there a way you could use an extension ring on the lens between it and the adapter?

Not sure what the registration numbers are but Oyvind has it on his compendium.

Oyvind, Thanks for putting together that compendium! It helped me out a lot when I was deciding on the SD14 and also afterwards.

I've read of numerous people doing that and achieving excellent macro results. I haven't personally tried it, but I'm sure it could be done. Maybe I'll grab a cheap one and try it out.

Also, that compendium was a huge help to me when buying my SD14 as well. I even successfully mounted a few K-mount lenses on the SD14 :)

-Collin-

I actually just tried that last night as I finally got my adapter in. Seemed to have very good results, but haven't given it a serious try yet.

Just beware of the extension tubes you buy. I got some cheap ones from China and they are painted black, which makes the threads a bit bigger and makes it hard to screw them into the adapter all the way...and even harder to remove. I almost destroyed my adapter last night trying to remove a ring.

Back