DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Trouble with Zeiss 85 planar

Hello Contaxians,

I was as happy as a child with my RTS III and 85 mm Planar (recently bought through E-bay), but just now i discovered that the rubber profiled band around the focusing barrel of the lens is somewhat lose. It sometimes slips a bit. I don't think it did that when it arrived, and it's only dissabilitating when i have to focus quickly. Have any one of you dealt with this problem before. Is there a DIY-solution or should i send it of for reparment? I only have it for 2 weeks ....
sad.gif

>Posted by Jaap Jan Helder (Naaldvoerder) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - >8:04 pm: > >Hello Contaxians, > >I was as happy as a child with my RTS III and 85 mm Planar (recently >bought through E-bay), but just now i discovered that the rubber >profiled band around the focusing barrel of the lens is somewhat lose. >It sometimes slips a bit. I don't think it did that when it arrived, >and it's only dissabilitating when i have to focus quickly. Have any >one of you dealt with this problem before. Is there a DIY-solution or >should i send it of for reparment? I only have it for 2 weeks ....
sad.gif

I've had the same thing happen to a rubber sleeve on a zoom lens for my RTS. It's a Yashica 70-210 and is just fine functionally. The grip ring has expanded enough that I can slip it off the lens. Someone suggested soaking it in hot water in the thought that it might shrink. Apparently that sometimes worked with phonograph turntable belts, but it didn't work for me. I've considered putting some contact cement there and then taping it tight for a while, but there are several holes in the lens body which are (were) used to adjust the lens. So I've done nothing and of course the part is no longer made.

So, no real suggestion, but I would be interested in seeing what you end up doing if you decide to repair it yourself.

I had the same problem on my CZ VS 35-70 after the focus had been professionally adjusted. I did not want to use any glue which could be permanent or damage anything so I used a paper glue "Pritt Stick" on the metal barrel having eased the rubber sleeve forward, stretching it as = little as possible. I then eased the rubber sleeve back. This seems to have worked perfectly.

Posted by Jaap Jan Helder (Naaldvoerder) >>>>>>>> just now i discovered that the rubber >profiled band around the > focusing barrel of the lens is somewhat lose. >>>>>>>>>>Someone suggested soaking it in hot water in the thought that it might > shrink. Hot water will probably do nothing to the rubber. Any oil products will cause the rubber to stretch, this is why the problem exists in the first place. Oil from your hands.

I had a similar problem. I removed the rubber sleeve and with a SHARP knife of razor, cut off sections so that it would be a snug fit. Then I put a large piece of double-faced tape on the lens where the seam should be. Attach the rubber sleeve so it is tight. My repair has lasted quite awhile. Best wishes. Of course, if it doesn't work, you can try to get the replacement rubber piece from Contax (?).

>

Posted by Tom C (Tbc) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 8:12 pm:

Posted by Jaap Jan Helder (Naaldvoerder)

just now I discovered that the rubber profiled band around the focusing barrel of the lens is somewhat lose. Someone suggested soaking it in hot water in the thought that it might shrink. Hot water will probably do nothing to the rubber. Any oil products will cause the rubber to stretch, this is why the problem exists in the first place.

Oil from your hands. [Maybe, but it was in storage for some time after a house fire. DAW]

I had a similar problem. I removed the rubber sleeve and with a SHARP knife of razor, cut off sections so that it would be a snug fit. Then I put a large piece of double-faced tape on the lens where the seam should be. Attach the rubber sleeve so it is tight. My repair has lasted quite awhile. Best wishes. Of course, if it doesn't work, you can try to get the replacement rubber piece from Contax (?).

=================

Sounds like a good idea, I'll try it when I get a chance. Got to decide how the diamond surface will match, or maybe I don't really care.

Your double-face tape gives me another idea. If I could find a way to completely wrap double-face tape around the bare barrel, and then using some magic method, slip the rubber sleeve over it, and then wrap it with something to keep it against the tape for a couple of days, it might work.

Thanks for the tip.

Concerning hot water, someone suggested that used to work on phono and tape drive bands in the olden days but of course these are not the olden days. I know it didn't do anything to my sleeve.

Replacement from Contax/Yashica, surely you joke! :)

I will tell you something that's somewhat related. When I worked in industry we had a project for Kodak which involved, among other things, driving a blower (then designed for filling station gasoline vapor purge systems) with a motor. Both the blower and the motor had simple V-groove pulleys. I took a length of 5/16' diameter round solid neoprene and did a diagonal razor cut on the ends to make the total length right, and then fastened the diagonal cuts with what was then called Eastman 910 cement, now called super glue. It had considerable tension when running but lasted for years in the prototype. I think one of the clues to that success is that the cuts were clean, made with a clean blade, and not touched by human hands. If I had the guts I'd try that with the sleeve but getting it lined up would be a problem. I guess I could use a smaller cylinder covered with wax paper as a tool, what do you think?

DAW

Don, >>>>>>>>>decide how the diamond surface will match.>>>>>>>>>>> The repair I did had a similar diamond pattern. Cut it at the base of the diamond points, you will notice this is a line parallel with the length of the lens. If in doubt, cut it longer and trim it later. > >>>>>>>>>>>>>If I could find a way to completely wrap double-face tape around the bare barrel, and then > using some magic method, slip the rubber sleeve over it. Using double-face tape around the entire barrel might throw off your calculations on how long the rubber grip should be. >>>>>>>>>> Replacement from Contax/Yashica, surely you joke! :) I have obtained some parts to repair a TLA 30 flash unit. The trick is to identify the part accurately. Frankly, I would check on various sizes of this rubber material, and get the longest piece (for the $). You might even be able to repair 2 lenses! > >>>>>>>>> I'd try that with the sleeve but getting it lined up would be a > problem. I placed one of the mating edges on the lens first, pressed it down hard. THEN I wrapped it around to the otherside where it met, and pressed that down hard also. Worked fine. Best wishes on your repair. Tom C

Back