CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New Zeiss ZF lenses

patrik

Hi,

I browsed the Zeiss website today and found out that they are releasing 4 new ZF lenses, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 Makro and 100/2 Makro.

The 50/2 Makro seems interesting, this lens will replace my Nikkor AIS 55/2.8 Micro.

patrik

I noticed that the design of the ZF Distagon 25/2.8 is new. The C/Y design has 8 elements in 7 groups and the new ZF design has 10 elements in 8 groups. It should be very interesting to see the performance of this lens, especially on a Canon FF DSLR body.

fotografz

I take it that the mislabled and incorrectly pictured ZV chrome MF lenses are for Hasselblad V series cameras?

WOW !!! Very cool.

salim

I would love a nice 35 lens...for my canon that would be as good or better in the corners as my cy 28/2.8.

dirk

CI-Founder
Thanks Patrick for the heads up!

I published it now in the nEws section, in case the Zeiss site, will be closed again

https://camera-info.com/Zeiss/New_Zeiss_lenses_for_Nikon_Hasselblad_and_Zeiss_Ikon/_Leica_M.html

@ Marc

it is definiely Hasselblad, according to the technical details. Also the images are named for Hassselblad...

I guess this site should have not been visible so early. Whether this leak is by purpose or not does not matter to me. It is now public information and we can spread the news around the net

This is like christmas time

Now Nikon only has to offer a kind of D80 with compatibility to Manual fokus lenses like the Zeiss ZF lenses (light metering etc.) and Sony gets real competition in my view.

grumpoid

Hi,

Has anyone spotted how close the 25/2.8 focusses? SIX cm....

clearly very different to the C/Y 25/2.8.

cheers Steve.

dirk

CI-Founder
mmmhhh

if we count all ZF lenses together we have already a decent range of primes for the Nikon mount:

Distagon T* 2,8/25 ZF
Distagon T* 2/35 ZF
Planar T* 1,4/50 ZF
Makro-Planar T* 2/50 ZF
Planar T* 1,4/85 ZF
Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF

6 primes within 12 months - more than Kyocera achieved in 5 years for the N-system.

If Zeiss is smart, they will offer a 12-24mm zoom or a 18mm prime because of the crop factor Nikon DSLRs. Or they could add the 16-80 without AF, which they offer for Sony. But I think they are not allowed to do that. But they could change the zoom-range slightly

dirk

CI-Founder
no, not yet. But this was not an official announcement yet. Becaue of the typos, it seems that the site was done in a rush.

I think there should come still something for the Minolta/Sony mount - or Sony thinks they do not need it at the moment, which would be a big mistake IMHO.

grumpoid

Hi,

Dirk..Zeiss REALLY need to be smart and offer the 21/2.8 AND 28/2 for the Canon Full frame and Nikon film users..

cheers Steve.

patrik

I agree that this is probably not an official announcement. I found out by writing ZF in the search field of
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, and than several new ZF lenses popped up.

mohican

If you guys pay attention you will see that the page says "Photokina 2006" on top. So, my guess is this was supposed to become available with official announcement that Zeiss was going to make at Photokina.

patrik

I looked at the specifications of the new Zeiss ZF lenses and noticed that the 35/2 and 25/2.8 have lengths of more than 90mm. Can someone explain the reason that these wide angle lenses are so long.

wang

I am answering Patrik for his last posting.

Zeiss wide angles are in two different forms. They are either small and compact like my C-Y 28 2.8 or large, long and bulky like my C-Y 21 2.8.

I had the same question in the past, why is my C-Y 21 2.8 so much longer and bigger than my Minolta 20 2.8 ?

I am no expert in the field of optics, I am only speaking with my experience in photography. Lenses with many elements tends to have less colour fringes, less distortion and excellent contrast. They also have the ability to focus in short distance. One of my friend also said many of the lens elements are there for the correction of problems like colour fringes.

For ZF 35 2, you would expect it to have good performance at f2 and close focusing. I believe for large bulky lenses, it is actually good news because you should see great performance. ZM 35 2 is excellent at f 2.5 and above but poor f2. It is Zeiss weak point at large aperture if you compare with Leica. I would expect to see good performance of ZF35 2 at f2.

C-Y 25 2.8 is compact with length 56mm. It has excellent resolution and contrast at the centre but performance quickly falls as you go to the corners. It can focus down to 0.25m. ZF 25 2.8 is big and long. I would expect it to have excellent performance even at the closest focusing distance. Its large size resembles my C-Y 21 2.8 which has a length more than 90mm.

I have to thank Patrik again for the discovery of the new ZF lenses. It would mean that once the ZF are officially announced, there will be a big drop in the prices of C-Y 21 and 25. So it is now the time to sale your old gear before the official announcement.

engel001

USD (and Euro) prices for the new lenses have been announced:
25mm $824 (699)
35mm $824 (699)
50mm Macro $1124 (899)
100mm Macro $1749 (1399)
Availability Q4 2006 for the wide angles, Q1 2007 for the macro lenses.
I believe this price level is in line with performance and expectations, do you agree?

engel001

What is left to hope for? Perhaps a 21mm, a telephoto zoom such as an 80-200mm/f4, or a 135mm/f1.8 (as for Sony Alpha/Minolta mount)? Most of all, we need a full-frame Nikon DSLR!