DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Using 3rdParty Filters

agp

I would like to attach a 2x yellow filter to my 35mm f2 Asph black Summicron. I would like to buy B&W. Though expensive, they seem to be the best quality - no point in putting rubbish on the front of this lens!
The filter thread is described as E39. Is this a standard thread pitch, or is Leica the only company to use it so that the consumer has to buy just Leica filters? I assume that the E39 means 39mm. Has anyone any experience of B&W filters?

Dear Andrew,

B+W make superb filters, and in fact the few filters that Leica still offers are made for them by B+W.

B+W E39 is the correct 39mm filter for Leica and in fact an industry standard.

Regards,

Justin

Andrew,

I think it very prudent of you to go with B+W for your lens. They are very nice filters and the only ones I will personally use.

I wonder, however, if there is in practice much difference in quality between B+W and the top-end Hoya filters. After all, Hoya is a very sophisticated and accomplished optical company with a technical expertise that would presumably be the equal of Scheider-Kreutznach.

I don’t actually know, but perhaps someone on forum who is much more knowledgeable than I might have some views they may wish to share.

Regards Craig

Andrew, One more thing. The only non-Leica filter you can be sure will allow the use of the proper hood is B&W. The other filters are fine but, unless you can actually try them on the lens and then fit the hood BEFORE buying, you are taking a chance.

Andrew,
the 39 is for diameter in millimeter, and it is ok. The E or ES, are for the thread, where E is for 0.5mm, and ES is for 0.75mm. For your lens you will need the E.
What it will be good to take is the version MRC, that is for Multi Resistant Coating. Usually you put one UV filter that give a mechanical protection to your Leica Lens. But the filter don't have one other protection, and this is one coating that don't take a streak.
You can see on the pdf the part of "B+W_Filtertechnology" , page 4.
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/filter/bw_filter_programm_e.pdf
I use B&W for all my lenses, Leica or other like Hassy.
You can go, you don't make a wrong step.
Laurent

Dear Craig,

Some years ago I compared filters from B+W, Hoya and others with among other tests, placing them on the sensor of a colour-temperature meter.

I have lost and forgotten the results, but was not impressed with Hoya and threw a lot of expensive filters in the rubbish bin.

Justin

Thanks so much to all those who replied so quickly. It has been tremendously helpful. I am definitely going for the B&W. I decided that a couple of hours ago. The only difficulty now is finding a UK (or USA as a pinch) dealer with a 2x yellow in stock. Delivery is apparently quite slow at the moment, because B&W have just been taken over by someone (Prisma ?), according to Wey Cameras. I will persevere, though! It is surprising that they are so difficult to get - I don't normally use a filter with a Leica, but a 2x yellow would be a permanent fixture on the black and white camera.
Thanks again to everyone.

Andrew, The B&W yellow filter you are seeking is currentlt available in the 39MM size at Adorama in New York
B$W# 65-070519(med yellow).
The light yellow is also available.

Thank you for this, Ebenezer. I tried every advert in the Uk's Amateur Photographer magazine, and finally found one at Richard Caplan in London, five minutes beforre the shop closed! They also had one for my 24mm lens.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back