DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Contax ND

I was so excited to find so many messages waiting about a new Contax, I believe 90% of these messages have nothing remotely to do with it . Oh, well! Dirk, maybe we should rename the thread
happy.gif

Marc, I e-mailed Bob Shell about a possible N-Mount adapter, and he said it was physically impossible because of the design parameters.

I just ordered three ND battery holders - they're going for $67. Theyt didn't mention how many weeks it would take to get them. Probably made to order. I hope the new ND uses the same one
happy.gif

DJ, he's right when you think about it. The aperture is electronically controlled. You can't stop down the lens. It requires a mechanical aperture.

As far as the "New ND" being Canon... Contax could've done worse by getting the technology from Canon (and in fact they kind of did do worse). But Canon doesn't seem to be sharing anything with anyone anymore. (Kodak use to have a leg up in digital with both a Nikon and Canon digital adapted body. Now there's only Nikon, and Nikon wouldn't allow the F5 or F100 to be used by Kodak).

Wouldn't it be neat if Kodak and Contax teamed up? The large N mount would be easier to work with than the small Nikon one was. Ah, it'll never happen because there just isn't enough of us Contaxians to buy the camera.

Marc,

If you're referring to Bob Shell being right, he is absolutely so. Not just what you mention, but also apparently the N-mount focal point would require moving the Canon lens mount surface further back, i.e. shaving off space rather than adding, hence physically impossible.

As far as companies cooperating, they really have to be complementary to be fully cooperative, not competitive, and the basic reality is nobody wants to share technology because that's loosing that leg up on the others. Nothing right or wrong with that - it's corporate Darwinism.

I think Kyocera has painted Contax into a corner they can't get out of without a big investment, which is probably not going to materialize.

We'll just have to wait for the next season episode, or see if they cancel the series ...

They already made a big investment in R&D (the ND). Why not just fix the problems? Or is developing a camera around a different sensor like starting over? It IS agonizing (wait, go to Canon, use an adapter for C/Y lenses, or 645 w/digital back. You can't buy for the future-we're in a storm of change. I'll quit moaning - its all speculation.

"We'll just have to wait for the next season episode, or see if they cancel the series ..."

This could very well be the reason why they are dumping the NX and the 28-80 for 700$. I almost bought a kit but then decided for the Canon 300D as it came to my mind Contax might be soon a brand from the past....

Hello Mike,
"If only Kyocera would produce a C/Y digital body, they'd corner a niche that they could milk for years on the back of existing investments in lens design and tooling costs. C'mon, if you're reading this, how about it???"

If Kyocera did that, they wouldn't be acting too differently from Leica with their digital R back. Leica haven't gone for a completely new system meaning that all their wonderful existing lenses have to be abandoned but have remained loyal to their existing customer base. Whether or not a digital back rather than a digital body is a good thing, is another matter but it shows that digital and C/Y lenses could mix. What a lovely thought.
John

Hi DJ,
"As far as companies cooperating, they really have to be complementary to be fully cooperative, not competitive, and the basic reality is nobody wants to share technology because that's loosing that leg up on the others. Nothing right or wrong with that - it's corporate Darwinism"

I think the new Olympus system is said to shared among several companies as "an open system" for lenses. I'm not sure about bodies. Do you think it will catch on. News of it seems to have quiet since the launch.
John

Marc,

Shame that you don't have the 85/1.2 anymore. I saw one of those 70-210 zooms not so long ago -- it's the one with the built-in filters, right? The price was ransom money. Out of interest, how would you say it compares to the Canon 70-200?

Bobby, you're most welcome for the info regarding the adapter. I'd hate to think of anyone getting rid of all their C/Y gear unless they had to (or unless they were selling it to me nice and cheap ;o)

Hi John. That's an interesting point you make about the Leica back. At this rate who knows, maybe I'll end up taking refuge in Leica R in 10 years time if Kyocera chuck in the towel with the MF system. Does make you wonder though, if Leica can make a profit out of a niche market then why can't Kyocera seem to manage it? I think a digital body is a better idea in many ways than a back, if only because it ought to be possible to make it more compact. Imagine a C/Y digital body the same sort of size as a 300D, but better built. Mmmm, yes please!

Regarding the Olympus system, I think it's going to be very hard to sell that to pros. They've set off on the wrong foot with that stingy little sensor. It seems to me that Canon owns the high-quality end of the market with the 1Ds, while Nikon are taking the fight to them when it comes to the lower-res/high-rate bodies that the press and sports guys depend on. Still, the Olympus lenses are very dinky which should count for something, so maybe they'll score with the press people as the resolution seems like it's good enough for that.

-= mike =-

Back