DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica serial numberswhere to look up

marc65

Hi,

I am new to the leica Ms and wondering where to look up Leica serial numbers to get the age of the equipment? People don't seem to like
putting the full #s on eBay either. Why not give a full #, if it is indeed your camera/lens, and
not stolen. I had one guy, who just would NOT give me the serial #s, so I gave up on him.

Marc, CT.

Hi there!

I was looking up my SN at cameraquest but it seems that they don't have year of production. Does anybody know when does the 249**** batch was produced?

thanks!!!

Welcome Juan! Here is the information you require:

All serial nr. 249**** camera bodies were manufactured in 1999 as follows:

2490000 - 2490150 M6 150j Optik
2490157 - 2495150 Z2X DB
2495151 - 2499999 M6 TTL

Source: Hove Leica Pocket Book, 7th ed., page 271.

Juan, According to Erwin Puts, Leica Lens compendium p 217: s/n 2468501-2503100 were produced in 1971. Although from Leitz records, there are exceptions. Mr Puts has a 2 page detailed explanation why some numbers are uncertain.

I have tracked a list of all M6 Classic 0.85 serial numbers. I have 400 or of of the 3130 serial numbers that Leica claims to have made. But tracking it by year, from Customer input data seems useless. It is enough to track it by country of origin and engraving on the back.

Back