DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica serial numberswhere to look up

<I have tracked a list of all M6 Classic 0.85 serial numbers. I have 400 or of of the 3130 serial numbers that Leica claims to have made. But tracking it by year, from Customer input data seems useless. It is enough to track it by country of origin and engraving on the back. >

Frank:

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your research?

Regards:

Gilbert

There were several questions that I was looking into. First, does Leica still establish serial numbers in batches? Size of the batches? Are the production runs sent to specific countries or generally stocked and shipped randomly? What part of he world did the first cameras get sent to? Finally, a minor issue came up during he data collection.... were there differences in the engraving over production time scales?

Frank, I'm not sure what an M6 "Classic" is. If it's the predecessor to the M6 TTL then it's just an "M6" I've owned my M6 since the mid 80's and some people refer to it as a "Panda" because of it's black parts on a silver chrome body.Leica ran out of chrome parts! I don't think Leica have named their cameras after animals.and neither do I believe they refer to it as a Classic. There were different engravings on the body such as "M6" on the front and "Leica M6" on the front. There is also of course the M6 made by E.Leitz, Wetzlar(probably the "real" classic) and the ones made by Leica Solms. My serial number is 173xxxxxx (Solms)
Colin

May I ask whats the difference between the M6s made by E.Leitz or Solms. Mine is originally bought used as a black body, but the battery cap went erroded inside, so as a temp. resort, I have replaced it with the same fit but chrome battery cap from my Minolta X-700 SLR, with a coin slot. Quite a little opposite to yours "Panda".

The only difference that I am aware of is the fact that the red dot says "Leitz" and not "Leica". They are both made in Germany.
Correction...I bought my so called"Panda" (sic) in November 1990 and its serial # is 177xxx.
There are other 'animals' by Leica: there was a Z2 jaguar, although I it was named after the car, which of course is named after the cat. In addition there was an M6 commemorating the Year of the Rooster although I don't think it's referred to as a Rooster when describing it but rather a Special edition.
Colin

Back