DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Dana Curtis Kincaid Posting:

You just don't get. It's not the point that the camera is high priced. And it is not the point that we all deal with obsolescent technology. It is the fact that Contax knowing did this to their customers. Perhaps I am guily of trust. I should be more like you.

David Reinfeld

A further thought, most of us purchased the ND for the Zeiss optics and the full size sensor so we could use all of the wide angles. Maybe what Contax should do is to follow Leica's ex&le and joint venture with another camera manufacturer/developer like Kodak or Fuji to develop a digital body that could use Contax/Zeiss lenses. This way, they could save on the development costs and still have a state of the art digial camera to sell.

It's the corporate world. If somethings doesn't sell, discontinue it (Leica M5?), cancel it, start over. It might be the best show on TV, but if the WWF beats it ever Saturday night, it's gone.

Remember the Apple Lisa, the Next, the G4 Cube, the Edsel, the Vega? How many people got their money back on the Chevy Vega, ven though the engines wouldn't last 75,000 miles?

Accept that this is about money. Trust your family, trust your friends, heck, trust the v&ire Lestat if you have to, but trust the corporate world?

-DC

I repeat, I fully understand that computer and digital equipment is subject to quick obselence and a drop in value in shorter amounts of time than did conventional photographic gear. But to say that others have done what Contax is apparently doing isn't true. My Nikon D1-X has held it's value quite well for 2 years . The full frame Kodak will most likely have it's effect. But the D1-X worked right out of the box one week after introduction. My photojournalism friend bought one of the original D1s and is still using it. He doesn't care if there is a better version, or if it has lost resale value, because it continues to work! I made a lot of money with my D1-X camera, and had zero problems with it. I do not intend on selling it or care if it now may loose value, because it still does it's job exactly as promised. I just bought a Canon G3 vacation camera and it also instantly delivered as promised (and then some). If they come out with a 6 meg version so what? I have what I need to take my vacation snapshots.

Conversly, we still do not have decent software for the Contax ND. At ISO 400 the Canon G3 delivers better pictures at 1/10th the price (and I'm not kidding about that).

I trusted them and I quess that I should not have. To which I can only say shame on them. But if I fall for it again, then shame on me.

Simply put, I am no longer a customer of Contax because I no longer trust them. Kodak has earned my trust. Nikon has earned my trust. Mac has earned it. Epson has earned it. Contax has lost it.

I have a 4 year old Contax G1. Its works great. You bought a Vega. Not all Chevys are Vegas.

Oh geex. You know, I think you are right. In the 70s a base model Vega would probably have been, what $2300? I had a used Vega wagon and a Cosworth, but I don't know sticker. My parents had a new wagon they bought in 1973. I liked the little cars, they just self-destructed.

Man, if Contax had put the N-Digital effort and marketing into the G rangefinder line...

Sigh.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2000/April/06.html

I guess I am missing the point too. I am truly mystified. What is it that they have "done to their customers". What have you lost?

Would you somehow be better off if they keep the price high and never sell another camera?

I think Dana and Steve must either work for Contax or are very wealthy or seem to get a kick from knowing a camera company like Contax could put out a 10K camera/lens with a 6-12 month life. If you really do not understand what they have done, and remain mistified, then I have a great bridge for you to buy. Are you so jaded that you accept business practices such as this. Perhaps from a low grade supplier, but Contax?

David Reinfeld

I think we are all reacting too soon. Let's find out what the real story is first before we get an ulcer. Maybe Marc is right and they are incompetent or negligent or greedy or all and did screw us. Maybe they're trying to keep the line solvent as they best know which means continued support for us, and maybe some concessions.

At this point I haven't heard anything concrete, unless somebody can cite a reliable statement from a good source. Let's save our energy for when the actual battle unfolds, if there is a true reason to fight ...

In the meantime, I hope to get some shooting in this week-end without rain. The only one sunny day I was able to fire off some shots downtown NYC in Battery Park, I forgot to change my white light setting and ended up with some very bluish images shot at 3300K - DOH! The learning curve with new tools. But I was very impressed with what I got even after compensating post-exposure. Printed on Kodak thermal it looked awesome in tonal range and resolution with an 8x10 portion of an equivalent 16x20 - no visible grain and great detail! It certainly looked at least as good as my 35mm Reala shots through my old RTS III. And yes, 400 ISO does look sucky.

I understand Marc's feelings, as this is his livelyhood. But let's get some real data first.

Cheers,

DJ

Back