DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

G

I wonder, has anybody noticed that in RAW mode moire pattern is more noticeable at 100% magnification than in TIFF? Well, actually, in TIFF mode it is not noticeable at all. It looks like Kyocera people atill cannot get everything top-notch: if you shoot TIFFs, you get excellent image quality, but sRGB colour space and 8 bit per channel colour depth, which is OK if you are planning on converting the image into BW. But if you want 16 bit per channel, Adobe RGB space and smaller files, you have to put up with lower image quality and no preview mode. I can live without previews, but I would definitely want smooth tonal gradations and no moire for the monye paid
happy.gif

Contax N Digital Battery problems solved!!!!

Today I received 3 brand new battery carriage inserts, which gives me a total of 4.

Also found 1950 Mil& NiMH batteries which are considerably longer lasting than the puny ones that came with the camera.

Life is good. Again.

mark what brands are the batteries and where did you get them. u also need a good slow charger, i found the battery charger had the most impact. ps i also go around with 4 clips!!

I have also heard that there are 2000 Mi& batteries available, but I have not been able to find any. In fact, I can only find 1800's in Dallas. Where did you get the 1950's?

Thanks,

michael.

>

> > > > I have had the Panasonic rechargeable AA cell for 2 weeks now, at 2000mAh > each, boosting the ND capable of reaching approx. 2G worth of picture file. > As a result, I have to buy yet another 1G Microdrive to add to the existing > 2X1G Microdrive to keep up with the camera+battery. I bought the battery in > Thailand, cost approx. 60 USD dollars for 4 cells. > > Brgds/Kaisern > > > > >

I got mine bundled with a Fuji promotion package which had a small digital camera carrying case (useless), a 1 gig IBM Microdrive and a set of the Panasonic 1950 mAh batteries and a Panasonic BQ-390A Quick charger...all for $269. US.

I hope Kaisern is even half right that you can get that many images on one charge. How are you shooting Kaisern?

Do anyone have any problem with dust on the CCD, how do
you get rid of it?
I am in the process of buying a Digital SLR.
In this forum, I see negative and positive comments,
Can anyone advise me the following concern

1. Len slow to focus. Can the new T lens focus fast
enough on a child running around in a park ?
2. One comment was 1 full charge could be capture
54 shot based on fireware 1.04. If upgrade to
fireware 1.08 now, does this resolve the issue.
3. Current Raw developer Version 1 do not have any
adjustemnt for exposure compensation where Ver 2
has it.
Ver 2 and fireware 1.08 location :
http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/optical/ndigitalsoft/index.html
Has anybody use Ver 2 and comments, is it as good
as Nikon Capture 3.0.
4. Can anyone send me photo take at night on same scene
with ISO 100, 200 and 400. I want to see the noise
level if acceptable.

regards
Alfred

Hi Guys, glad to hear that the battery problem seems to be getting solved. While testing my lenses, I found that the lenses are sharpest at f8 and decreases towards either end very rapidly. This seems exaggerated with digital cameras. I didn't notice as much variation with the N1. Anyone has the same observations? Also, after stopping down the lens for testing, I started to notice dust spots on the CCD. I understand this is a rather common with digital cameras. How does the ND fare in this regard? Thanks.

HELP PLEASE!

Yes, a desperate cry fir help with my new N Digital. I wanted to wait until I ran some initial shooting tests for tonal reproduction vis-a-vis the zone system, but I find myself unable to get a usable image into my PC without the Firewire tether. I'm using Win XP with P4 2.4GHz & 1.5GB Rambus memory. Here's what I've tried.

The camera gets recognized and comes up in the imaging devices. The Raw Data Developer (I think the word Raw refers to the software as well as the image :-(). I'm able to capture and save - beautiful detail & color.

That's it for luck. I can't get any program (Photoshop 5.0 Lite, Windows Imaging, Win Photoeditor) to recognize the Firewire device to import. The pathetic Raw Data Dev can't import JPEGs or even raw images already in the camera that I can see. I then tried copying the files from the CF to disk through a reader, but the JPEGs come up all skewed and weird in any display program I tried, and the raw images come up with weird lines across when read into the Raw Data Dev.

What are you guys using to import your files? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I slit my wrists and send a picture to Kyocera ...

BTW, I LOVE this camera, with a couple of rants, of course. I'll provide some more impressions and hopefully some tonal reproduction data based on grey scale and color patches once I get over this hurdle.

Cheers,

DJ

OK, here's the kicker. If I load the CF into my Canon Powershot G1, I can read the JPEGs fine through Win Explorer! Now how come Win XP will not show the Contax on Win Explorer like it does the G1? Is it the Firewire? Is it the Kyocera driver? Ah, how painful Contax has made this, unnecessarily ...

So I use a Canon camera to upload my Contax JPEGs? How pathetic is that?! I'm just hoping there's something really stupid I have overlooked, and I can say, DJ, you dumb idiot!

Cheers again,

DJ

Back