DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

35 or 50

Hi Daniel,
Two weeks after my initial post I came across a newspaper ad about a 35/2 ASPH being sold with a black chrome M6ttl 0.72. He was not selling it separately so out of curiosity I ask how much is he selling for the combo? It turned out to be a bargain.....$1500 LNIB! It's like buying a brand new 35/2 ASPH with a free body! Still my M6ttl chrome has no lens. Went to Hong Kong instead of Singapore last September because I was voted out by my kids.
I bought a 50/2 Summicron. Used it inside the wax museum using asa 400 Kodak Max with shutter speeds ranging from 1/8 to 1/15 and the results were really outstanding.
Now having both the 35/2 and the 50/2, I can say that I use it 50/50. But having used the 50mm for 7 years on my Nikon has made me more comfortable using the 50/2. I still find it difficult to fill the frame with the 35/2 but I'm getting there. Also, maybe it's the comfort zone afforded to me by the 50mm in terms of subject to camera distance. Just my opinion. At any rate both are superb lenses.
Edwin

I just sold my 35 ASP summicron and 90 summicron-m and get a 50 summicron-m as the only lens for my M7.

I learned that it is a matter of taste, i'm having a little difficulty isolating subjects with 35. I love it when i'm traveling and taking scene shots. But since i like taking photo's of people, candids then have to part with my 35 summicron and get a 50 summicron.

I find my 90 summicron-m heavy and really less use compared with my normal lens so i sold it as well. (considering i came from a nikon F100 with 80-200 f/2.8). It's really perfect for portraiture but i realize i don't do it a lot.

Now i'm framing better, more focused on the lighting, subject than thinking which lens to use.

So it's really entirely what is your preference.

I just sold my 35 ASP summicron and 90 summicron-m and get a 50 summicron-m as the only lens for my M7.

I learned that it is a matter of taste, i'm having a little difficulty isolating subjects with 35. I love it when i'm traveling and taking scene shots. But since i like taking photo's of people, candids then have to part with my 35 summicron and get a 50 summicron.

I find my 90 summicron-m heavy and really less use compared with my normal lens so i sold it as well. (considering i came from a nikon F100 with 80-200 f/2.8). It's really perfect for portraiture but i realize i don't use it a lot.

If you travel more get 35. If you are looking for a general use 1 lens system then 50 shines.

Raymond

Raymond,

If you like the 90 focal length but want a smaller lens, consider an old LTM 90/4 Elmar in good shape. I've had two and the one I have now looks nearly new and is a fantastic little performer and weighs about what my cell phone does. Easily fits into jacket pocket. I also usually carry a small 35/2.5 Cosina/voigtlander compact Skopar in another pocket and the soft but beautiful 50/1.5 Summarit ON my M4-P. With my wallet, my Palm Tungsten, my Olympus S20 flash and my Digisix meter, (and a few rolls of NPZ) I am pretty much ready for anything that I'd want to shoot with a RF and it all together weighs less than my F100 and two lenses. I'd love 'new' glass, but the 90 Elmar and 35 Skopar are great performers for the way I shoot, very small and extremely affordable.

The only lens I'm considering adding for travel is the 21/4 by Cosina as well. It is built on the same frame as the 35/2.5 and the only addition to my bag would be it and a veiw finder. Both together are as small as the 90 Elmar.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael Eric Berube

From: http://www.leica-camera.com/imperia/md/content/pdf/msystem/49.pdf

"The 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH is to
be preferred when state-of-the-art full
aperture performance is needed. Aperture
for aperture the 35mm Summilux
ASPH shows improved image quality in
comparison to the 50mm Summilux-M."

I believe in the 35 + 90 lens formula.
You need a 90 (I have the current Elmarit) if you want head shots or portraits that are relatively free of distortion.
The 35 (I have the current Summilux ASPH) gives a little edge to handholding in low light and the distortion (perspective) can be used to add more drama. The depth of field is another plus in favor of the 35 for quick street snaps.
Of course, this is just my opinion... and it is a personal opinion. One must decide on ones' own terms, and ultimately, whatever gives YOU the best results will win. It's all fun and you can always trade or sell ...and start a new journey. Have a great day!
biggrin.gif

Back