DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lens should i buy

I completely agree with Justin.

35mm and 90mm would cover most needs.

You can then add either a wide or super wide angle lens or on the contrary another onthe telephoto side once you're comfortable using the 35mm and 90mm - and have the cash!

If you don't need the really wide apertures, I'd recommend going with the 35mm Summicron (f/2.0)and the Elmarit 90mm (f/2.8).

I recommend the Elmarit for several reasons:

1. Excellent quality lens
2. Much cheaper than Summicron 90mm
3. f/2.8 is still a pretty decent maximum aperture (Worth extra cash to you for the 1 extra stop?)
4. At 90mm and f/2.8, you can still get the depth of field effects you will be looking for in your portrait shots or whatever

Ken,

Further to Mark's sensible advice, it is rare that one needs f/2. With modern films it is easier and cheaper when required to use one of the fast films.

As Erwin Puts has written the 1:2,8/90 Elmarit-M is the best lens of that speed ever made by Leica. I found it superior to the 1:2/90 Summicron-R.

Considering your budget, start with the 90mm Elmarit-M which you can buy second-hand in mint condition very reasonably.

All the best

Justin

B&H often has several used Elmarit 90mm.

I just had a look and they have a chrome one in "9" condition for $599.

I have in past months seen in both black or chrome in 9, 9+ or even 10 condition (10 being the highest rating). You might also check out Tamarkin although I've never bought from them.

www.tamarkin.com

Have a look at their site. They have several used Elmarit 90mm ranging from about $550 to $1050 depending on condition. The best being $1050 and is unused.

Anyone here used to dealing with Tamarkin in New York?

Mark

If you are interested in a 90 for portraiture I will recommend the 2nd 90 f/2.0 Summicron. This would be the early version with the telescoping lens shade and E48 filter size. It is an excellent lens and is slightly soft wide open which makes it better for portraits than any of the other Leitz 90s. But you may still find with experience that you will need to use a soft focus attachment.

> Anyone here used to dealing with Tamarkin in New York =============================================================

I have met and talked with Stan Tamarkin severaql times. He runs a areputable business, but like KEH, his prices tend to be at the top of the market range. But iof he has what you want, you can always try a little negotiation.

> I bought an M4-P from them - it was advertised as Exc+ I think but in reality there was not one mark. I have never even HEARD a complaint unlike Ury, Chatterton or some others. Very reputable.

I have 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 90/2 and I love them all. I have used the 50/1.4 for portraiture and it give very nice "out-of-focus" area at f/1.4 at close range ( in order to get head and shoulder portraiture.) I think the 90mm is a bit havey and the frame is small in my 0.72 M6ttl. Maybe I will have a 0.85 M6 later to fit the 90mm lens.

Thank you everyone for your kind inputs. While I think I would definitely get the 90 and 35 combo, I am quite surprised that nobody mentioned anything about the Tri-Elmar because from both this forum and Erwin Puts' article I have read great things about this "zoom" lens. Having been spoiled by the use of slr's for years, it seems always inconvenient to change lenses all the time. And that's why I think the Tri-Elmar would come in handy. Any further comments on this piece as an addition to the 35+90 combo?

There is one more question I have regarding the Leica lenses. Over the weekend I visited many camera shops in HK and looked around both new lenses and second hand prices. And amazingly I found many old lenses in descent conditions are selling at extremely high prices. I talked with some shop owners and was informed that the quality of old Leica lenses are different and better compared to the latest versions. They claim that the new ones provide images that are too "sharp and fake" like Japanese made and lack the original Leica elements, and these comments are somewhat different from what Erwin Puts described. I find there is little conflicts of interests among these shop owners because while they sell both new and used, they seem to be able to make more profits out of selling brand news than the consignments old lenses. What are your opinions on this issue?

I apologize for writing so much and hope that this hasn't bored anyone. I am just a Leica beginner trying to learn more...

Kindest regards,
Ken

Ken: I use the Tri Elmar more then other Leica lens that I own, and I own almost all of the modern ones. In Europe I tend to take the Tri Elmar on the M7 along with the 35/1.4 Asph for lower light on an M6 body. I often take the 21 Asph for the really interesting wide angle opportunities, but the 28 on the Tri Elmar is usally adequate and quicker then changing lenses of course. If I have room I will pack the 90 Asph. The Tri Elmar is wonderful lens. As others have stated, the newer faster films make the higher aperature a non issue. I try to use the shade as much as possible. It is unfortunate that Leica has not ( to my knowledge ) made a cover to fit directly on the front of the shade allowing one to leave the shade permanently affixed to the lens. I cannot comment on the point concerning the dealers and used lenses. I agree with Erwin that the newer lenses are probably sharper, but in the ususal day to day applications one would suspect that the older lenses will perform amazingly well. Indeed, the older summicron 35mm is one of the gems...very compact and light, and makes great images. Buy one if you've the chance. Others might be able to give you a range of fair prices. Alternately, check Ebay. Don't ever apologize for asking a question.

Back