DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Batteries

G

Can anyone tell me what battery is used for my SL2
Also it might be nice to see a listing of batteries for Leicas on this site.
Thank you,
Hank Roed (rdhaus)

> [Hank, The SL2 takes a PX625 Mercury Battery, but you need to establish if your camera has been re-calibrated since Mercury PX 625s are generally no longer available. There is, however, one source in UK which still supplies these I hope that this helps Mike]

> [Hank, Wein Aircells are also an alternative to mercury PX 625, although they have a much shorter lifespan. They can, however, be resealed when not in use. The UK supplier of mercury batteries is Eurobatteries, who have an international supply service. Mike]

Justin & Michael,Thanks for the info! It's a recently acquired camera.I found some mercury batteries in my collection.
I put one in the front also but the low light illumination in the view finder is on all the time. I guess the button on the prism is faulty?
I'll be sure to check calibration also.
Happy Holidays,
Hank..in California

> [Hank, It is more likely that the main battery contact is faulty (in the base of the camera). I am basing this upon the assumption that your 625s are not too old. The prism switch merely interrupts the battery circuit. Mike.]

Jerry,

I came across this problem with in relation to my M5 some time back, I haven't used the wein cell personally, however, I believe they are awkward to use and don't last that long. The following link may be a useful reference.

www.rolleiclub.nl/batt-adapt-US.pdf

I think a lot of folk myself included, with SLs and M5s etc, have bitten the bullet and have had voltage regulators installed so the cameras will take 1.5V silver oxide batteries.

Best of luck, Craig

My recently purchased SL came with a Varta V625U cell in it. When I pressed the battery check button, the needle only went down, maybe 85%, to the bottom of the viewfinder. I read in the Instruction book that the needle should go down, at least, to the bottom right hand dot. I replaced the Varta cell with a brand new Wein cell. Now the needle goes down a little further, but still not all the way to the dot. To me, this means three possible things: 1) the new Wein cell is weak, or 2) the meter has been recalibrated for 1.5 volt cells, or 3) the meter needs to be recalibrated for 1.35 volt cells. I have not tried a 1.5 volt cell in it. Is it safe to do that? Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry

I recommend you send your SL for calibration instead of experimenting with replacements that might or might not give the proper read out.

Also as the meter was originally set for 1.35V input,anything else is just that.

Best regards

Joseph Low

Back