DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cases brands makes and sizes and why please

S

Stevied

I have recently bought an EOS Digital Rebel and various other accessories, I am looking for advice on the different manufacturers and sizes prices etc, for an attache case or maybe a back pack style to keep at least some of my gear tidy and reasonably safe.

Steve Canon markets a very nice well made and CHEAP backpack great for your needs it's the Canon Backpack 200EG you can find a number of auctions for it usally in the $45.00 price range this is NEW. I drug one all over Europe with 22 lbs of gear in it and it still looks like new. Mark W.

> I have recently bought camera backpacks from Lowepro...the trekker series.= =20 > The Photo Trekker is very large and works well for the person with several= =20 > cameras and many add-ons. I use it when I am traveling strictly for=20 > photography and want to take everything along. I have also bought the "m= ini=20 > trekker" which is a great little pack. It easily holds both my digital a= nd film=20 > rebels and extra lenses. these packs are labeled "AW" which means "all=20 > weather". They have a built-in waterproof cover. Both of these packs are= made to=20 > carry a tripod along. Great design! If you aren't familiar with Lowepr= o=20 > packs go to their website: www.lowepro.com and take a look. I found th= e=20 > best prices on eBay. Mary Lou >=20

> [Hi Steve, Ive tried loads of different bags over the years-and find that depending on the type of shots you take and the sort of terain you cover you will probably need at least two--A back pack if your treking over rough ground a long way from transport--And for city or short hops of say 5 or 6 hours-A shoulder come waist bag is good -I use one designed by the late Galen Rowel -Called Photofex to which I have fitted an Optech USA carrying strap--The Optech has a flexible(some kind of rubber to pad and take the weight of your shoulder--It realy does work Iv`e carriedl it for hours on end-sometimes for 6-7 hours almost none stop and it`s still feals comfortable---Of course the size depends on the amount and size of gear you carry--The advantage over a shoulder come waist pack (which the photoflex is -is that you can swivel it around from- the back of your waist to your front and unzip it and in the case of the p/flex the top folds away fromyou to make your gear ready available (very quick to use --unlike back packs where you have to take them off and put them down to open--And if it`s muddy.!>I carry 2 pieces of black plastic(heavy duty bin liners) 1 to place on the ground to put the back pack on and the other one to put the--Mabye muddy one into.

Thanks for the info!

The plastic sheeting is not something I would not have thought of, excellent idea! I sometimes have back problems so a pack that can be carried around my waist may very well be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi Marylou,

Thanks for your input I have seen quite a few cases and bags etc but I dont think I have seen the trekker series but I will definitely check them out.

Thanks once again for your reply.

Steve

The answer to life the universe and everything is 42

> In commenting on some recent exchanges, one of the reasons I have gone wit= h=20 > the Lowepro trekker bags, in particular the Photo Trekker, is that there i= s=20 > excellent design so that you can adjust the bag perfectly for your body. =20= I=20 > carried a very heavy Photo Trekker while hiking in Belize and felt well=20 > balanced. I have rather advanced arthritis in my lower back and it worke= d well. =20 > Of course, it is important to only carry what you expect to need! :<)

I use the Lowepro Phototrekker too, and find it a very good backpack.

It will carry my 20D with 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 17-40mm f4, Contax RTSIII + 28-85mm and 21mm distagons, along with filters, film, batteries etc.

When fully loaded this is obviously very heavy, but it feels really comfortable because of the great design. Most of the weight is supported on your hips and it's all very well padded, and easy to adjust straps and shoulder supports to your individual build and proportions.

There are of course smaller models for those who don't want to be a pack-mule!

> Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply, I actually looked at one this afternoon and decided thats the way I am going to go. All I need to do now is find one cheaper than $89:95 I was pretty sure I saw one cheaper than that at Amazon.com. Guess where I'm going after I send this???

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi Marylou,

Thanks for taking the time to give me the lowdown. I dont have arthritis but I do have problems with L4 & L5 that can lay me pretty low if I misbehave as far as carrying anything that is out of balance or alignment, so your comments have convinced me that this is the bag for me.

By the way who said photography was a cheap pastime?

Thanks again

Steve

(who is learning in leaps and bounds, well maybe not leaps and bounds right now but you get the idea)

Back