DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SL SL2

Dear RH,

IMHO the Leicaflex is one of the best kept secrets, a reflex M2 or 3. In 1969 I bought a new SL and have subsequently added the original Leicaflex, a black SL (now for sale) and the SL MOT. My only regret it not having full screen as well as spot metering, otherwise a prefect camera. As Sal has said, the R cameras are better with motor-drive. Have fun, the camera will last you a lifetime.

Justin

67585.jpg

On the subject of fine old mechanical cameras, I’ve just had a look at the Nikon FM3A. Not quite in the SL league but quite a remarkable and respectable little camera that would give the R6.2 a push. One great thing IMHO is the FM3A maintains a dual match needle meter read out, which is far more informative than the R6 LED red dot triangle set up.

I firmly believe there is a still good market for a quality mechanical camera. If Leica were to get back to its roots in the SLR field (as they have done with the MP) to produce the mythical SL3, I would certainly be lining up for one or two bodies. Nikon are to be congratulated as the only company that still produces a quality mechanical SLR, and Leica should be ashamed that it has seemingly abandoned its heritage in this area. But unfortunately I feal that all Solm’s energies have been put into dealing with the market push for digital capture. We shall, I suspect, have to wait some years before (if at all) we get to see Leica producing a mechanical SLR again. Gone are the days when Leica produced fine tools to do a job well.

Craig Hoehne

Craig, I've been interested that Cosina recently brought out the Voigtlander Bessaflex TM. This is a quality mechanical camera (a reincarnation of a previous line made by Cosina) which, I believe, is the first M42 mount made in years.

It is a joy to use, and because Asahi Optical screw mount lenses can be bought very cheaply at the moment, the combination is ideal for someone who wants to learn how to be a photographer. As opposed to taking photographs.

I think it won't start a trend, but it is intriguing when the world's going digital to find a reversion to old style methods.

Regards

I would argue that at present there is a substantial gap in Leica’s line of SLR cameras. The R9 is a very fine solid SLR in the ‘flex., SL tradition, but way too battery dependant for my tastes.

I work out of town a lot and ensuring all the bits and pieces such as, chargers, spare battery units etc. for the R9 come along on jobs is a minor logistics nightmare. In my experience the new generation of larger heaver R lenses don’t balance well with my little R6. In short a more substantial “SL type†mechanical camera that coupled properly with my 3cam ROM lenses would save a lot or organisational hassle, and I’d need a lot less backup junk to cart about.

In relation to getting back to basics with mechanical cameras and film, I think many people are finding that digital is fun to start with, but it also has real limitations. Digital capture IMHO encourages a less discerning approach to imagemaking, resulting in more pictures and less quality. Cameras such as the SLs (somewhat like the Ms) allow you to concentrate more on making the image without the technology “taking overâ€. An ex&le of less is more. And there seems to be the beginning of a digital backlash at least in some circles. It is interesting that digital cameras are beginning to imitate traditional manual cameras i.e. the newly announced Epson.

There is I believe, the need for a mechanical stable mate for the R9 and It seems logical, given the bulk and weight of some new lenses, that such a camera might be based somewhat along the SL/SL2 camera lines. The only reason I don’t run pre R cameras is the lens/meter coupling compatibility. I’d be more than happy if Solms re-released the SL2 MOT but with 3 cam coupler. They would have to improve on the old winder though.

Craig

Hello Justin

I saw your Feb 21 post with a picture of the SL and a Summicron Lens - is this the 90/f2 with the ZOOEP?

Brgds

Joseph Low

Dear Joseph,

Yes this is the SL we were discussing. The MOT naturally is black.

Regards,

Justin

I recently bought Leicaflex SL with 50 Summicron and 90 Elmarit. Having used and liked several Tamron lenses(17mm/ 35-70 zoom, 90 macro) with Nikon and Konica, I've read that Adaptall II will not work, doesn't clear prism housing. I understand that Adaptall I with inscription "Leicaflex" does work. Kindly confirm if true and does anyone have one for sale? Thank you, Leicanikonica

Yes, I have an Adaptall that works quite well with my SL with a 24mm Tamron. However, my Adaptall II SP 3.5 70-210 does not seem to like being on the SL with it. That zoom lens works quite well with the R Adaptall II on my R3. (Neither the Adaptall 1 or II works on my R8 however). I have looked hard for another Adaptall I, but as of yet have not found a second one. All I have found is a version for the SL that works only with a mirror lens.

Marvin Falk

I have owned two Leicaflex SL's. The first was traded for the second. They have both suffered from the same problem. The shutter and winder are jam after rewinding a roll of film. On the first camera I would just flick the curtain and it would unjam. The current camera I cannot unjam. I sent it to Germany to get fixed and they wanted $650US. I told them to send it back. They ended up double charging me shipping. So I am already $100 in the hole on this camera and it still does not work. My question is how do I remove the base plate so I can poke around. At this point if it never works again I have not lost anything. But If I can unjam the shutter I can use the camera. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but this is the first camera I could not take apart. I even bought a book that explains how to incorrectly remove the base. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back