DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

14x Teleconverter

G

Is there an alternative to the Mutar III ?
ZEISS doesn't have a 1.4x-Converter which fits to my 3.5/200 and 1.4/85. So does any other manufacturer have such a converter available ?
(at a much lower qulity level, of course .... )
matthias

As far as I know there are only 2x converters from other manufacturers (Yashica, Kenko, Soligor, Komura) but no 1.4 converter.

I have tested Mutar I and Mutar III with many Zeiss lenses. As you mentioned, Mutar III does not fit to TT3.5/200 and P1.4/85. Mutar I does work with P1.4/85 but you need to stop down to f2 (=f4 effectively) for good sharpnes .
If there would be a 1.4x converter that fits to P1.4/85 you have to stop down one f-stop to have good picture quality, so you have effectively a 2.8/120 lens. IMO buying a used S 2.8/135 would be a much better solution, because the price is the same as for a used Mutar III and handling is easier (but S135 has more weight and different filter diameter I admitt...).

Dieter

Back