CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Nikon lens won't fit on the Nikon adapter (SD14)

D~C

Ok, this is kinda weird.

I have a Sigma SD14 that has the Nikon mount conversion. I had been shooting with a Nikon Nikkor 105mm and a Vivitar Series zoom lens.

I recently tried to mount my Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens to my SD14 and for some reason . . . it just won't fit! I have never had a problem with any of these lenses when I mount them to my Cinemek G35 adapter (that has a Nikon mount) for motion picture capture. So I'm not sure what is going on here??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

tc95

Make sure that the lens does not have a guide...on the rear element due to the element being exposed there is a metal piece that sticks out...if you have this on the 50 f1.4 usually on AI or AIS lenses...you need to have this ground down...the lens...will not mount due to the fact of the space from the UV/IR blocking filter to the mount....

If you have a newer lens AF....then it probably recedes too deep into the lens mount to fit...I had a few issues like this...

If you could post pictures of the lens rear so we can see that would help...

Tony C.....:z04_cowboy:

tc95

I looked at my AIs 50 f1.4 and they look the same....what is happening when you put this with the camera...?? Also, would you take a picture of the adapter on the camera...??

1. Did you do the conversion yourself...??
2. Where did you get the conversion...??

Sorry for more question...that looks like it should fit...:z04_photos:

D~C

Weird.

It's hard to describe exactly. It almost fits, but not quite snuggly. Won't rotate into place.

3.jpg

4.jpg

I did not do the conversion myself. It was already installed. I bought the camera from Leo, just like you see in his ad:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Like I said, two of my other lenses fit and work just fine. It is just this one lens that is giving me a problem. :(

Bustoner

Lens fit/goes inside completely, than not rotate into?

Otherwise check if it touch the IR filter board

...if you have a Caliper you can measure as well any problem, even the thickness of the 3 dents on both Nikon camera/lens mount, and so the space under dents too.
...also with caliper you can easly check differences from the other lens that fits good.

D~C

The lens almost completely goes in, maybe 98% in. There is a very slight wobble to it, which tells me that it is not snug enough. The lens will not rotate; there is something blocking its rotational path.

It's hard to tell if the lens is touching the IR board since I can't see inside when I'm trying to mount the lens. I do not have a caliper, but I will see about getting one.

tc95

I would use a mm ruler to see the depth.....your mount and mine look the same...

Did you do the conversion yourself...?? and if you did...did you add back the spacer that you took off of the sigma mount...?? That spacer is 1mm and if you don't have it in there you can be having an issue....the spacer goes first before the new mount...

This is what it looks like...
and how it should be used and mounted....

Picture-1.jpg

Picture-2.jpg

Picture-3.jpg

Then you put the Nikon-F mount on....if you don't know take it apart and find out....if it is there...if not you will have to get this piece or a spacer for it to work....also if you have any of the spare spacers and this one is in like it should be you might want to add on of the other spacers to see if it works...

Let us know if this helps.....

If you not you might want to post your issue here....

Tony C....:z04_cowboy:

****All Pictures are from Luis's instruction manual....and I did not mean any harm by posting them...just here to help a fellow SD14 user....(Sorry Luis's if this is an issue with you)...*****

D~C

Thanks for that info! I think it has been put together correctly (by the person who sold it to me), but I'll have to take it apart to verify. When I have some time, I'll do that. Might not be for some days as I'm a little bit swamped now. But I will report back when I can! :)

D~C

Ok, before I go taking my SD14 apart, let me show you an image of what was left over from the original Sigma mount.

SigmaSD14_orig_mount.JPG

The silver ring on the left is the original Sigma lens mount, and of course it is very thick. The golden ring in the middle is extremely thin and can bend easily. The silver ring on the right is a little thicker than the golden ring.

So perhaps I could add one or both of the spacer rings (middle and right images) under my Nikon mount?

tc95

That is what you are supposed to have left...so you have everything that needs to be in there....

one of two things I can think of...is that the one piece I was talking about earlier is in the wrong way....probability of this...20%...

second....you might want to add one of those extra spacers in there...to see if it gives you the added depth...you need...?? This could give you another issue...back or front focus...!!!

Third idea...!!! Do you have another Nikkor Ais or access to one...that you can try on the body before you do this...to test to see if it fits...??

Good call on the extra pieces....picture..by the way...

Tony C.

D~C

Thanks, Tony.

Your Idea #1: It is possible that it's in the wrong way. I can check this in the near future.

Your Idea #2: I'd rather avoid adding an extra spacer(s) if I don't have to, for the reason of backfocus that you mentioned. I would rather just use another 50mm lens altogether.

Your Idea #3: Let me poke around and try some other lenses I have or have access to. Again, I'd prefer to simply leave it as it is (if the conversion assembly is indeed correctly installed) and use compatible lenses. But we'll see! :)

D~C

Solved!

Ok, so I finally had some time to get back to this problem. And I'm happy to report that the problem has been SOLVED! :)

The back of the lens had a black hard plastic ring with a part of its edge that protruded about 1mm too far in order to properly mount the lens to the camera. So, I removed three very tiny screws to pop out the ring. I used some wire cutters to cut off that 1mm protrusion. I then took some sandpaper to it and softened the edge of where I cut. I put the the lens back together and mounted it to my SD14 with no more problems. :)

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

DSG

Ok, so I finally had some time to get back to this problem. And I'm happy to report that the problem has been SOLVED! :)

The back of the lens had a black hard plastic ring with a part of its edge that protruded about 1mm too far in order to properly mount the lens to the camera. So, I removed three very tiny screws to pop out the ring. I used some wire cutters to cut off that 1mm protrusion. I then took some sandpaper to it and softened the edge of where I cut. I put the the lens back together and mounted it to my SD14 with no more problems. :)

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

OK so now it mounts OK do you have any samples pics you can show?

D~C

OK so now it mounts OK do you have any samples pics you can show?

I don't have any pics of it handy, no, sorry.

It was basically this (I think):

Make sure that the lens does not have a guide...on the rear element due to the element being exposed there is a metal piece that sticks out...if you have this on the 50 f1.4 usually on AI or AIS lenses...you need to have this ground down...the lens...will not mount due to the fact of the space from the UV/IR blocking filter to the mount....

I will see if I can post up a pic of how it looks now. Going out of town very soon so I might not have time to do this for a few weeks.