DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which Peint Film To Use

Craig,

what is your experience with fuji provia 400f compared to 100f. do the colours fade out? up to which size the grain and sharpeness is no problem?

dirk

Hi Dirk.

With Provia 400F the grain can be noticed at all print sizes, but it isn't objectionable. It's not an ugly grain, like some films, but a smooth, even, and small grain. As for the colour, it looks accurate but it lacks "punch". 400F is a good "documentary" film, but not a "beauty" film, in my opinion.

I use Astia 100 rather than Provia 100F because Astia is better for skin tones. According to the spec. sheet, Astia can reproduce more subtle gradations of tone, and is more tolerant of varying lighting conditions, unlike Provia 100F which I found to be too "honest" in that it exaggerates the blue cast in shaded locations. Astia is more saturated than Provia, and just looks better on the light box to me. Astia slides kind of jump out from the light box and look "beautiful".

I shot some Provia 400F recently, and posted some s&le images on one of my web sites. You can see them at http://alkiratech.tripod.com/photogallery/id34.html

The bottom shot of two motor scooters was on Astia 100, the other shots are all on Provia 400F.

Kind regards,

Craig (in Hong Kong)

Dear all, I agree with Craig that 400F [RHPIII] has more grain (about like Kodak Elite Chrome 200/Ektachrome E200 Prof.). But 100F has less grain than Kodachrome 25 had and Velvia has. Thats a unique selling position. *=* BUT: I noticed that grain depends on the printing lab/machine!! I would recommend a large lab, original FUJI-LAB for slide printing (they scan and print with much higher resulution than KODAK labs.)

Furthermore those Digiprint(TM of Agfa) labs have hair lines visible on a 20x30cm print by the way. ex&le: they scan the slides and SHARPEN them and more...

regarding ASTIA [RAP]: it does bias white skin tones to "flamingo red/pink" how much it does bias depends on the E6 processing lab, again!

If you really want do a shoot out slide film you must print on Ilfords CIBACRHOME. It is a high-gloss fine-print paper with metallic effect. 2x to 3x as expensive but great.

If outdoors weather is just bullshit (rainy & grey & depressing) If you need more punchy colors you can push develop Provia 400F and expose as E.I 800 ASA w/o any bad grain. Alternative use Kodak E200 Prof. pushed 1 stop and expose E.I. 320 to get the colors :)

Last but not least: I once got grainy & unsharp pictures from Kodak Ektar 25 negatives from a swiss cheapo lab. I complaint about it and the reprinted without grain and sharp as hell. I couldn't believe my eyes! --Rainer ------ Craig writes:

With Provia 400F the grain can be noticed at all print sizes, but it isn't objectionable. It's not an ugly grain, like some films, but a smooth, even, and small grain. As for the colour, it looks accurate but it lacks "punch". 400F is a good "documentary" film, but not a "beauty" film, in my opinion.

I use Astia 100 rather than Provia 100F because Astia is better for skin tones. According to the spec. sheet, Astia can reproduce more subtle gradations of tone, and is more tolerant of varying lighting conditions, unlike Provia 100F which I found to be too "honest" in that it exaggerates the blue cast in shaded locations. Astia is more saturated than Provia, and just looks better on the light box to me. Astia slides kind of jump out from the light box and look "beautiful".

I shot some Provia 400F recently, and posted some s&le images on one of my web sites. You can see them at http://alkiratech.tripod.com/photogallery/id34.html

The bottom shot of two motor scooters was on Astia 100, the other shots are all on Provia 400F.

Kind regards,

Craig (in Hong Kong)

... in a thread of photo.net there seems to be the opinion that the fuji sensia (newest emulsion) would be equally good to provia 100F but less saturated. is this also your experience?

dirk

I haven't seen any of those films you're talking about. I've had incredible results with Fuji Reala (100) print film.

Jeff in Colorado

I 've nice results with Kodak Supra 100 and Fuji Superia Xtra 400, these two films are my default.

Hercules in Hong Kong

> My default and favourite print film is Kodak Supra 100 and Fuji Superia Xtra 400

Hercules

>

I love both Provia 400F and 100F - the 400 behaves exactly like the 100 , same colour characteristics etc , but just faster . A very useful combination , you dont have to think about it , just load and shoot and you'll get similar results . Obviously the 400 will be slightly grainier , but for a 400 its damn fine grain - I've had a magazine cover shot using 400F and it reproduced excellently....... Steve

please notice that both Fuji NPS160 Prof. and NPC160 Prof. and all new 4th Layer Fuji superia amateur are updated Versions of good old REALA 100 (state of the art 1995) Main Advantages are: durability, light & dark fading stability (50y+ ?) As far as I know Kodak cannot achieve this in PRINT films yet. checkout "Wilhelm Reasearch" or so Have a good day, Rainer Nagel from Switzerland ... Jeff writes: I haven't seen any of those films you're talking about. I've had incredible results with Fuji Reala (100) print film.

Jeff in Colorado

Back