DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Photographing people in street scenes

G

Hello all,

I'd love some feedback on this. I've always had a love/hate relationship with photos of people in street scenes. I love them when they are interesting and tell a story - I hate them when I feel self conscious "intruding" into a strangers life by taking a picture of them. I have generally avoided such shots. However, I do have one image of an older woman standing in a doorway of a cottage in NE Scotland with a cat crouched in the opening of the doorway. It was only after I got that one back that friends picked it out and remarked how much they liked it.

How do you handle these street scenes with people, where people become a focal point. It nearly becomes a portrait of them? Do you find they back-off what they were doing and look unnatural when they see you taking their photos? What do you say? Do you ask for a release form to be signed in case you want to use the image later?

I would really like to hear how others handle this.

Thanks very much,
Lynn

Hi, Lynn! Generally photos of people I don't know work best for me when they understand I am taking a photo of them or when I ask them to pose. There are some exceptions to this, of course, but not very many. For me the critical part is how I ask them and how I can put them at ease. I don't know how I would handle a serious language barrier (rural Alabama?) but I guess with a lot of smiles. Jack Casner

Hi Jack,
Thanks very much for the feedback. I've always wondered how others handle these situations. Good information.

Can I run a hypothetical question past you? Say you're out at a farmers market. There's a nifty looking situation: beautifully displayed farm products (fruits vegetables etc) and the vendor looks great interacting with the customers .... what might you typically say? Something like, "Do you mind if I take some photos of you with your stand?" ... do you mention signing a release before or after you do the photos? Sorry to get so detailed, but it would help me to hear this sort of info.

Thanks again,
Lynn

> I take pictures like that all the time. In a situation like the one > you discribed, I never ask but I make it a point to be as > unobstrusives as possible. Usually when there is a transaction like > the one you mentioned, the people involved never notice you. If you > make eye contact (avoid this if possible) then either ask permission > or move on. If you want to get real close aske permission.

The images on my web site were all taken without permission. If you ever intend to use any photos in a commercial way (advertising editorial etc., get a model release. this is not required for images for exhibit)

www.dsaxe.com

Sometimes people are suspicious of your motives[and god knows I'd be suspicious of someone like Jack! ;-)] , but then would be a good time to mentiona release [if you intend using them for commercial purposes] . I tended to do the sniper thing with a longer lens , but I find myself getting bolder and asking/interacting with my subjects more these days . It depends on the situation and what you're after really......... If you needa release signed you need to be fairly specific about the pics use as people are often intimidated or suspicious of legal documents - especially from a stranger . If you're going to be making something out of the deal its only fair to offer something in return by maybe buying something from the stallholder[in the case you mention] or promising a print or two for them....... Beyond that , people are often flattered by the attention and will cooperate more than you might think - its how you go about it that counts I find.... Steve

>

Thanks Jack, David and Steve, I sure hope I'm sending this post right - because this is my second attempt to send via email rather than posting on the site. The first time I definitely failed. The instructions have me a bit perplexed. If this is a mess to read, sorry! I'm learning.

All of your advice has helped. This type of shooting has always been a difficult issue for me. But I think I'll give it more of a go now. Although I don't have immediate need for commercial use of these sorts of images, I'd like to create my own private stock collection for future use. That's why I'd need the releases. I can see using some of these in some upcoming projects, but not definite. That is a nice idea to offer them a copy of the photos...I think that itself might calm any fears they'd have over some stranger taking their pictures! I'm not that daunting to look at I suppose at 5'2" and I usually smile, so maybe I can manage this.

As Jack mentioned, I'll try to stick to areas where I can speak the language, my "Alabama-language" is a little weak. ;)

Thanks again all. -Lynn

Lynn:
This string is a few months old, but perhaps you would still appreciate some additional information. I'm an American living in the Philippines and I've done a lot of street work. I find 98% of the people I shoot want to be in a photo. I usually smile and hold up the camera with a questioning look and get lots of "yes" grins. When the subject is spectacular I spend a lot of time with them talking about their work and life and interspersing directions about posing. Even if they speak only Tagalog (mine consists of asking directions and thanking people) smiles and gestures do it. The only time I "sneak" a photo is if someone gives me a frown and shakes their head. Ususally I abide by their decision, but if it's a great shot I hang in there and try to get a shot when they're not aware. Since I spend so much time with people I will buy something from them if I'm in a market situation, and in some areas they are used to being paid - believe me they will let you know if that is the case. Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to mention that spending the time makes the difference. I once saw a lovely older woman in the market and wanted to photograph her, but she disappeared. Later I was photographing a gentleman and his wife and he wouldn't let me go until he found "lola" (grandma) to be in a shot as well - she turned out to be the woman I wanted to shoot earlier.

Lynn:
This string is a few months old, but perhaps you would still appreciate some additional information. I'm an American living in the Philippines and I've done a lot of street work. I find 98% of the people I shoot want to be in a photo. I usually smile and hold up the camera with a questioning look and get lots of "yes" grins. When the subject is spectacular I spend a lot of time with them talking about their work and life and interspersing directions about posing. Even if they speak only Tagalog (mine consists of asking directions and thanking people) smiles and gestures do it. The only time I "sneak" a photo is if someone gives me a frown and shakes their head. Ususally I abide by their decision, but if it's a great shot I hang in there and try to get a shot when they're not aware. Since I spend so much time with people I will buy something from them if I'm in a market situation, and in some areas they are used to being paid - believe me they will let you know if that is the case. Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to mention that spending the time makes the difference. I once saw a lovely older woman in the market and wanted to photograph her, but she disappeared. Later I was photographing a gentleman and his wife and he wouldn't let me go until he found "lola" (grandma) to be in a shot as well - she turned out to be the woman I wanted to shoot earlier.

Lyn McCoy-Tupaz

Back