DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SL SL2

RE: Everready ( never ready ? ) case.

I will suggest you use a search engine to find and check the used listings of some of the major camera stores. The NY stores such as Adorama and B&H are online and so are at least tow of the Chicago stores, Helix and Central Camera. I am sure there are also other sources, such as some of the stores which subscribe to the Leica email lists.

Congratulations Bill,

You have bought the M3 of the reflex world.

The history of Leicaflex cases (extracted from period brochures) is a follows:

14 555 Leicaflex case (1964) brown, external stitching 14 557 Leicaflex SL case (1968) brown 14 558 Leicaflex SL case (1969) black 14 504 Leicaflex SL2 (1974) maroon

My favourite and the one used to carry my SL or SL MOT is the 14 558 with removable nose-piece.

If you follow the LHSA Leica Catalog or eBay they turn up from time to time.

Mr. S. Y. Tse "Mr. Mint" telephone: +1 (510) 352-1550 often sources original mint equipment. I have bought three rare cases from him.

Best of luck; It is a great camera and worth protecting. I would not use a strap as it marks the eyelets (irreplaceable) and can also burnish the top cover.

Sincerely,

Justin

I add my congratulations - the SL is the sweetest SLR out there.
The everyready Justin mentions is a good one and I have seen several for sale in various places - they can go for $20 or $30 or much more, depending on what the person selling thinks its worth and condition.
While there are benefits to ECs, I don't use them - I prefer a Domke bag or something similar. Look at the "Mclassics.com" site for some really nice leather straps and canvas-type bags.

Enjoy -

Max

> Those of us who know about the Leicaflex SL need not comment...All of the rest of the 'flex line are Japanese, altough I keep a couple of Nippons! Heck, I must be a hypocrite!!

Every-ready "Never-ready" may be the case for our Photo Phreak, however one of the advantages of the Leica cases is the removable nose-piece.

Supporting the camera in the case without the nose-piece allows quick use.

My preference is a wrist strap fixed to the tripod bush for the prime camera without case. If I take a second body it is carried in an ever-ready case (without nose-piece) slung over a shoulder.

The shots I have missed are due to running out of film at the crucial moment, not having the film advanced, bad focus or exposure, but never because of the case.

Not regularly Michael, but whenever they provide a photo opportunity.

> Every-ready "Never-ready" may be the case for our Photo > Phreak, > however one of the advantages of the Leica cases is the > removable > nose-piece. ================================================================= Since 1969 ALL of my cameras have travelled in the bottom half of a "never ready" case. I have removed the narrow factory straps and replaced them with the modular straps from TAMRAC and a few home designed types. The bottom half of the case does a wonderful job as a shock absorber protecting the cameras. The only exception to this is a Nikon F2/MD2/MB1 combination. I have found no good way to modify a case to work with that combination. But I have the factory handgrip and strap attached whenever it(the camera) is not attached to the Leica shoulder stock. For my two Ms I use the bottom half of a black, slant front case, often called the SL case.

I'm not sure where exactly I should post this but here it goes...

I bought a Leicaflex SL (discounted since the light meter is inoperative) I can get the lightmeter fixed, it's just a battery contact. However, till then, what kind of handheld light meters do you reccomend?

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel,

Gossen and Minolta are the top-of-the-line professional meters. I have both, and on balance prefer the Gossen. They are a little more user friendly and smaller.

I use the Variosix for complex metering, and the Sixtomat when I want a quick reading in straightforward situations. It is small and inexpensive, although I believe Gossen have introduced a new meter which is smaller and better.

Cheers,

Justin

Back