DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

R 4080200

G

I would be interested in any opinions about the optical quality of this Telezoom. According to the book of Erwin Puts the designis from Leica. But I do not know for sure who is actually producing it. I read somewhere on the net, that it is produced by Kyocera (Contax) but have no proove for this.

I mean I do not care where it is produced as long as the quality is very good and Kyocera/Contax has proven that it makes excellent lenses. So my interest is more on real user experiences about the optical quality then on who is making what
happy.gif

dirk

Hi Dirk!
The quality is outstanding! Produser is Minolta.
Seldom falks can distinguish its pictures from 70-180 APO. I use it friquintly for portraits.80-200/4, 35-70/4, 21-35/3.5-4-best choise.
Sorry for my inglish.
Andrey.

This lens is not made by Minolta. Older Leica zoom lenses like the 80-200 f/4.5, 75-200 f/4.5 and 70-210 f/4 were based on Minolta designs and produced by Minolta for Leica but the current 80-200 f/4 is a Leica design made by Kyocera.

>I too am very happy with this R 4.0/80-200 lense, which I am using now for about one year.

The R 4.0/80-200 is by far the most superior zoom lens I ever had. It's only bettered by very few fixed focus lenses. Usabiltiy and optical quality combined are the reasons that this is my most used lens.

Optically a very good performer but not as good as the 70-180 F2.8 Elmarit. Balances nicely with the R8. I do not agree with Mr. Haubrich (although I do respect his opinion). It does not measure up to the Cron 90 the 100 Macro Elmarit or either of the 180s in my opinion.

Yes Perry, I share your opinion. It's exactly what I said. And the lenses you just mentioned, are good ex&les for the "few fixed focus lenses" that are better than the R 4.0/80-200.

Compared to the APO 2.8/70-180: peole are always telling it's better, but can you really see the difference beween these two in the final picture? And even if you would only be able to see it in direct comparions, I would favor the 4.0/80-200 because of the higher usability (smaller & lighter).

If lens quality and brighter lenses are most important, I would rather use the 2.0/180mm on the long end or the new R APO 2.0/90mm on the short end than using a zoom lens at all.

Is it true that Leica has stopped production of the APO 2.8/70-180 lens due to high/expensive production cost? New one costs euro 5,200.(inc.of 16% tax).

I doubt Leica Camera AG will stop production of its flagship Vario-Elmarit 70-180mm f2.8. They have already come out with a Vario-Elmarit 35-70mm f2.8 to match this exotic lens, so there is no reason why they should stop it. Anyway, all these lenses are for the rich, so quantity is not expected to be high, and that is the reason why the selling price is so ridiculously high as every single component used is of so low volume. Those who are in manufacturing line will understand this concern.

Back