DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G2 Lenses vs Pentax 31mm F18

pepstn

Have any G2 users seen the results of the Pentax 31mm F1.8 lens compared to their G2s? I'm a current Pentax user and I'm torn between buying the 31mm f1.8 or switching to a G2 with a 45mm or 35mm. I'm new to this site and find the comments here interesting and helpful.

Hi Paul I don't have Pentax 31mm F1.8 but I have smc PENTAX-L 43mm F1.9(L-mount) which is same "limited" series. It is very fine lens but I feel G-Planer 45mm is better than PENTX in point of transparency. (I don't recommend G-P35mm, I've sold it :p)

You may want to consult this Popular Photography review on the 31/1.8 Limited lens:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=333

Looks like a stellar performer, but I find the price unpalatable. Still, Pentax has a digital upgrade path, Contax G doesn't, all the rumours flying around notwithstanding. I have both and I only wish there is a digital Contax G but as it now is I probably won't "switch" but keep both.

My gripes with my G2: no finder display of aperture, no flash exposure compensation for fill flash, no display of how many stops over and under in finder (actually #3 if present can alleviate #2, but unfortunately G2 lacks both), and you must learn how to use a center-weighted meter (no matrix automation no spotmetering). Other than these deficiencies G2 handles much better than my PZ-1p body. I like the rangefinder idea far better than SLR.

Optically I have yet to see any Pentax surpass any of my Zeiss lenses (21/28/45/90), but then I have no experience with the Limited series because they are too expensive. I do have a few top Pentax lenses in their * series, though. The Zeiss lenses are very reasonably prices for the kind of optical quality they offer. Even if the Limited lenses can surpass Zeiss they won't do as well with the performance/price ratio.

Thanks for your reply. An on-line article by Mike Johnston in the June 2, 2002 edition of The Luminous Landscape Journal, at www.luminous-landscape.com, compares the Pentax Limited series lenses to Karl Zeiss lenses. The article states that select Pentax primes and Zeiss lenses are the reigning 35mm lenses. This being the case, I was wondering what experience others have with the Pentax primes. The article mentions that both brands are below the larger marketing radar since they are used mostly by enthusiasts now.

I have all the three pentax limited lens 31,43 & 77 and the 43 i also = have it the the LTM leica mount. they are very very good and with these = pentax cameras being so small, the contax g advantage goes away. though the = pentax lenses cost more than the g lenses. overall a tough choice

Hi, Paul, would you mind listing your current Pentax setup ? We may be able to work out a trade if you have got something I am interested in - with the advantage that if there are regrets we can swap back the gear.
happy.gif
Like I said I hate to go back to Pentax but I am embracing the brave new world of digital. I have a G2 with 28/45/90. I would be the most interested in the 77/1.8 Limited, but would be interested in other stuff too. Let me know.

Bobby- My current Pentax equipment is a ZX-5n with the following lenses: FA 50mm 1.4; FA 28-70 4.0; FA 28-105 3.2-4.5 and a Sigma APO 70-300. I don't own a limited lens yet, but I tested both 31mm and the 77mm last week and I'm mulling over the results before deciding. I am also considering the FA 135mm 2.8. I would like to spend more time shooting primes. I currently shoot mostly with the 50mm 1.4. I don't know if I will go into a G2 (at least currently) because I like viewing through the lens for focusing.

Back