DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Wilson,
I have compared to the following Minolta lenses (negatives and slides and scanning these with a CoolpiX 4000 dpi machine: 2.8/20 mm 100mm Macro, 200 mm APO, 400 mm APO and the 24-85 zoom. Of course compared with the full range of G lenses. In print the G lenses are better, but the difference is more noticeable when I blow up the picture on the PC.
The 100 mm and the APO lenses come closer to the G lenses, but there is a difference. Especially the 100 mm macro (ut also very well for normal photography) is a beautiful and affordable lens.

Peter

Almon and others, Merklinger the author of the paper you refer to(http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml), has also written an excellent book on focus and depth of field: The INs and OUTs of FOCUS (Harold M. Merklinger,ISBN 0-9695025-0-8).
It has helped me to understand the depth of field principle much better and especially for my long telelenses been able to calculate the acceptable circle/disk of confusion as a function of distance/magnification and aperture, which actually determines whether a (bird) picture has an acceptable sharpness over a sufficiently large range of the subject. Very advisable. I paid 15 Can $ for it some two years ago.

I have a question about flash. When I use my TLA200 on my G2, should I dial in positive exposure compensation when my background is bright and negative when my background is dark?

Being in the sahara for some time, I was worried about my photographic equipement (Contax RX and G)with respect to sand and dust. After I noticed some sand grain in one (MF)lens, I decided to use only my Contax RX and to leave the Contax G unused in my bag. I thought the RX would be better sand/dust resist then my Contax G. Is this true? Do you know which body is better dust/sand resist?

Hi my question is with regards to the Contax G2 and TLA-200 flash unit. I am taking social documentary photos at a party tonight (my work: http://www.urban-exposure.com) and will be using Ilford FP4 125 film. I have shot similar subjects previously using a G1 & TLA-140 and the results were spectacular, but I am worried that the TLA-200 unit is too powerful. Is this true? If so should I make any adjustments on the camera. Please explain fully. Also I am using the 35-70mm lens, shall I just keep the flash set on the 35mm zoom setting? I imagine that most of the time I will be quite close to my subject (within 5 metres) so what apeture should I use bearing in mind it is 125ASA rated film.

Thanks for your help. A reply would be appreciated before 7pm GMT as that's when I'm going out!

> James, I used a TLA200 with a 90 at a prize-giving, and it was too =20 > bright when I had it on 90! I was using Fuji Superia 400. However, I = =20 > used it initially on 35 and the shots were a little softer. You might = =20 > consider using the 28 setting to ensure a softer light. Chris

I'm still waiting to be involved in a situation where the TLA 200 is too powerful.

Hi everyone.

I have had my G2 plus 28/45/90 (Millennium Kit, included the TLA200 and aluminium case) for a little over 18 months now, and now feel that it's time to add my thoughts to this thread.

I purchased the camera as a possible replacement for my Canon SLR system (I was using an EOS 5 with an 85/1.8, an 18/3.5 and the fantastic 28-70/2.8L lens, plus a 50/1.8mkII which is a great and inexpensive lens). On getting the G2, I found few of the problems that many have experienced. Having deliberated over the possible purchase of an M6-TTL with 35/1.4 and 90/2 lenses (which would have cost much more) I plumped for the G2 kit as (a) it was cheaper, (b) it had useful automation which means that it's quicker to use and easier for my non-photographic friends to use (I thought this might be a useful consideration) and (c) I didn't feel that another manual RF was sensible, as my main camera was and remains a Mamiya 7-ii, which these days has the legendary 43/4.5, 65/4, 80/4 and 150/4.5. Now, neither the M6 or the Contax would ever be capable of the results that the MF Mamiya was capable of, so I didn't feel the need to worry about fulfilling the landscape role, as for the slow, considered work I would always use the M7 through choice.

Anyway, I digress. Though I would never claim the G2 to be able to reproduce the visual excellence of the medium format system, I nevertheless expected a lot from the G2, and it delivered. As a compact travel camera, there is little to fault. Sure, it's not perfect, and I really wish the lens wouldn't 'park' between AF, but for my purposes it has been ideal. It's very quick to use, and the results from 35mm are staggering. In fact, it's so good I recently ditched the last of my SLR kit, preferring to use my wife's Canon AE-1 for Macro work and the G2 or Mamiya for all else. Together, the two systems work with great synergy - the G2 is great for travelling light, and the results continue to impress.

My favourite lens is currently the 28 - though the 45 is obviously very special, I am at heart a wide-angle man, and though I wouldn't dream of going any wider with the G2 (the Mamiya 43/4.5 is roughly equivalent to a 21mm in 35mm parlance) the 28mm is a delight to use. The 90 is the least used lens, though I can't really fault it other than its less-impressive AF.

A few weeks ago I added a s/h 35/2, though I haven't actually had a chance to have any of the films I've shot with it developed. I am sure it will be a useful addition, and suspect it will fill the role that the 65/4 does on the Mamiya - in other words, it acts as the 'one lens' for those occasions when I want to travel as light as possible. It's extra speed will also be useful, though I'm disappointed it doesn't stop down beyond f16 - however, with the 1/6000s top shutter of the G2 this won't be as much of a problem as it is on the T2, with its low 1/500s top shutter speed.

I sincerely hope that Contax uses the G2 as its basis for an interchangable lens, compact digital camera. It makes a lot of sense, though it seems that they (Contax) are intent on blowing a golden opportunity to clean up with such a system. I've actually kept my 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 EOS lenses in a case of hedging my bets because my faith in Contax developing a digital G isn't great (though I'd prefer a digital G over a digital EOS given the smaller size and the fact that the lenses are simply much better with the G).

In summary, I really rate my G2 which is a fine camera with outstanding lenses. The ideal hypothetical G3 for me would be digital, with a non-parking AF and that would do nicely...

John

John,
Thanks for sharing your experience with the G2 system. I fully agree.
William

Dirk,

This G2 section is huge! Can we have a folder made of this to cut down on the download time?

Regards,
William

Back