CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

NonCanon lens to EOS adapters

fotografz

Well DJ, that sounds like the answer to your chromatic aberration issue. I know the Ziess 21/2.8 is a killer lens.

I think I'm going to look into this option myself.

The other one I am interested in is a Hasselblad to EOS adapter. I have a 110/2F that is nothing short of amazing on the Contax 645 and N cameras ... on the Canon 1DsMKII it should be more than amazing ; -)

M

mike_nunan

Hi guys,

I'll mention this in passing because it was something I didn't know about until I bought a couple of the adapters: you lose E-TTL flash metering when you use these gadgets. I don't know why this should be, the camera could quite correctly meter the flash without knowing the aperture setting, but it appears that Canon have crippled it for some reason.

Best regards,

-= mike =-

fotografz

That's because there is no data-bus communication between the lens and the camera to provide camera to subject distance info. I suspect it'll still provide TTL control, but the flash may have to be set as such.

M

mike_nunan

Hi Marc,

I thought considering subject distance was only a feature of ETTL-II... (goes off to do a search...) Yes, that's right:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Maybe there's some other reason, I can't believe that Canon would have deliberately crippled it.

-= mike =-

fotografz

Mike, you might want to go back and re-read that link.

It sounds like there is no need for distance data from the lens with an ETTL II body. So, when using a lens without a data-bus it will still work ETTL.

D

djg

Especially since the reading is being done real-time with the lens stopped down for shooting.

OOOOH! One more message and I become a Very Active Member
happy.gif

Hey Dirk, will Gold members get the cool smiley toolbar we get in the Contax forum
happy.gif
? We need a little variety here
happy.gif
. See what I mean?
happy.gif

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi DJ,

we installed the smliy toolbar for you
rofl.gif
and all others of course too
wink.gif
. But these will be visible only in the forum itself, not in the e-mail notification you get from the forum.

Hi Marc,

as far as I can see, you have only a test account in the Canon gallery...

D

djg

Dirk, you're the best
biggrin.gif
!

A Merry Christmas to everyone in the Canon Forum!

DJ

M

mike_nunan

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the long gap, but I've been offline during the holiday season (needed a break from keyboards). Happy New Year to you and everyone else reading, now I'm back!

Returning to our little discussion, you've got me confused. Chuck W states the following in the link:

"E-TTL II weights and averages the flash metering for the subject and all other objects at the same distance as the subject"

Now obviously this is specific to E-TTL II. I don't have a camera equipped with anything more recent than regular E-TTL, but what I do know is that the flash metering fails dismally if I mount a lens without a data bus. What were you trying to say, that E-TTL II *will* work without the data bus (which would seem unlikely given the info quoted above) but original E-TTL won't (which my experience certainly confirms), or what?

Yours, confuddled,

-= mike =-

D

djg

Well, I am currently being tempted by the Leica 21-35 zoom on a Novoflex adapter, pending my trying to get Canon to do something about the horrible resolution of my EF 17-40/4 at the corners. It's in my B&H cart but I need to send the zoom to Canon first and see what they will do ...

D

djg

Ended up finding a Contax MM 35-70/3.4 and an MM 25/2.8 at Central Camera. They should be here Tuesday according to UPS. Let's hope the adapters get here around the same time - no idea if they shipped yet.

I am wondering if it would be possible to replace the bayonet flange on an N lens with an EOS compatible one, in other words not an adapter but an outright replacement, since the problem is there's no space available for an add-on. Of course that would mean the lens could not be used on an N body, but I wouldn't mind at this point.

Anybody know a machine shop (that probably makes adapters) that would do such a job?

Dirk?

D

djg

Hmm, I always think of those places as marketing places, most of the time the work is done by an actual shop, but maybe I could approach them ...

lensdude

The author of the article I read at the link you originally posted prefers cameraquest. It stands to reason that the design engineering would be more valuable than a talented machinist considering the close tolerances of camera systems.

D

djg

Indeed - the engineering blueprint would be the intellectual property that gives the product its unique value, not the execution of the machining, which could be outsourced to any number of shops. Such a quandary
happy.gif

lensdude

The adapter that you require should be relatively easy to acquire on Ebay for a very low price compared to what a machine shop would charge.

D

djg

Trevor, if you read carefully (I probably wasn't too clear) what I'm proposing here is not a normal lens to camera adapter, which cannot be made for the Contax N lens and EOS mount, but a replacement bayonet which would require removing the current mount on the lens and replacing it with the new one.

Since you lose use as a Contax lens, at least until you replace them again, there's not a big market. Just daydreaming here until my CZ lenses and adapters arrive
biggrin.gif

thedruid

I saw something like this last year, a Pentax 645 body with a Hasselblad mount...it was going for $1250 a lot of $$ for a manual P645 body but it was worth it for the person who eventiually bought it.