DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summicron 50mm f2

Kolsch is one of those talented individuals who helps (has helped) to make us photographers look good. That is If you're smart enough to use Leica.

> [Hi Craig

What are/were the lenses that Kolsch designed and is responsible for their debut and fame?

Best regards

Joseph Low

Joseph

Herr Koelsch has just moved on from Leica so he won't be designing any more of my lenses. From memory there is an essay by Dr Puts on the designers at Leitz/Leica. I know no more than Erwin has provided through his web site.

But this is a question for all those more educated list members, messers Herr, Scott etal.

I'm just a scumbag photographer.

> A brief question re the Summicron (and other Leitz/Leica lenses): my '59 50mm has metres only focusing scale, but others have feet and metres or feet only (my Summar). Why is this?

David,

Around 1960/61 a certain amount of sensible rationialisation occured with all the Leitz variants. Prior to that one could buy a lens with either a feet or a metre scale. This was not only confined to the Summicron. If you look at 50's f/2,8 Elmars you will find the different scales. The ordering codes (pre numbers) reflected the different scales. Even after the above dates it was still possible to buy the camera body with both size tripod bushes.

Justin

> Thanks Justin, makes sense, I always wondered why they had both metres and feet.

Dear Leicainfo.com members,

if you reply by e-mail, please stick to the topics. M50/2 comments in the M50/2 threads, C3 comments in the C3 thread etc.

This helps others to find the appropriate answer easier later on and is also much more comfortable to read
happy.gif

Thanks

Your Leicainfo.com Team

Chris said "My 1974 Summicron ... resultion was apparently higher than any Hasselblad 500mm lens ever tested."

Now all you need is a film that records all the information coming out of the fine glass you have. It's Tech Pan from now on, no more grotty ISO400.

I don't know why it should be so, but I've always thought that there is something about (at least some of) the lenses made in the late 60s to mid seventies. If someone can explain the reason to me I would love to know.

craig

Back