DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss lens research which made in Germany

Hi,
Thanks to all for the info so far...please any more is welcome!! Please note if you have AEG, AEJ, MMG or MMJ or have seen them!! I am trying to establish Zeiss manufacturing patterns & info as so little info is available and so much info is guessed or heresay. I will be asking for more info to follow as I wish to really establish some facts about the lens manufacturing of Zeiss T*....regards to all.

Hi Wai,

Thanks for the list, indeed helpful..but even this has omissions/ errors, which is why I am doing this research.
The errors I see are : there are certainly 18/4 MM Germany, 85/2.8 MM Germany, 100/3.5 AE Japan, 200/4 MM Germany and yet all these are missing from the list. I also believe 100/2 MM Germany exists..but would like it confirming. It also shows 35/2.8 AE Germany but no one seems to have seen one!! also a 100/3.5 AE Germany which also no one seems to have seen...does anyone own any of these 'missing' lenses?
....thanks for everyones patience & help.
Cheers Steve.

Hi Dirk,

I am a late-comer to the Contax 'party' having just started using the Contax/ Zeiss gear about 3 years ago and very soon became frustrated at there being so little info about Contax & Zeiss compared to other brands, so decided to start research for my own interest & knowledge..maybe eventually publish a 'paper' or present a list to Contax-info...I do not know at this stage, I just read a Contax book published in Germany and it was so interesting I wanted more info!! clearly judging by the few replies so far, there are lots more Contax fans who would like some too!

Cheers Steve.M.

... you will not regret the decision for Contax/ Zeiss glass
happy.gif

Regarding any potential publications with information from our forums, please respect our terms of use.

We are in talks about a book and/or e-paper about Contax caneras and Zeiss lenses starting from (C/Y mount) 1972 onwards, by the way. Whether Zeiss Ikon will be included (the new models) is not decided yet...

Zeiss M mount lenses should be included for historic reasons. The timing between the beginning of Zeiss Ikon is so closely followed by the termination of Contax makes people think they must be somehow related.

Steve,

There are definitely omissions, not to mentions errors on the list which was posted by this used camera shop in Japan probably on basis of the lenses that it had once carried up until 1999.
I personally own 85/2.8 MM which I forgot to include in the list. I also found out today from the website of the same camera shop that it is carrying a VS 35~70 Germany which is new to me. (If you can read Japanese or Chinese, go to www.mapgroup.com, click used camerea, and type Contax in the search box.)

Good luck to your research project.

Hi Dirk,

No problem..at this point, any info at all I find is purely for my own use. I sell as a hobby in the UK and am tired of being asked questions by nice Contax users which I would love to answer with confidence but cannot, hence my own research.

I am really wanting to know Contax camera/ Zeiss T* lens production dates (both Germany & Japan), lens production runs, ie amount produced and in which mount, intro & discon years, lens up-dates/ optical alterations etc...maybe info which Zeiss do not want to share ? will your book/ e-paper cover any of this? basically all the info you can easily find for Leica but not Contax/ Zeiss.

Cheers...Steve.

Hi Steve,

"...will your book/ e-paper cover any of this? basically all the info you can easily find for Leica but not Contax/ Zeiss..."

Yes. The Leica books by the way have in most cases wrong numbers
happy.gif

Dirk, I think the books by Jim Lager on Leica are pretty accurate.

Sitting on my desk next to me is a 180/2.8 W.German AE lens.

I also once owned a 85/1.2 German AE that was NOT an anniversary lens. My current one is a 60th anniversary.

Back