DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Upload size limit - (automate?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirk, if you have an email address you can give me I can try to attach these to you like that. I think even my yahoo mail may have like a 15mb limit, not sure.

Ok, took a 17mb jpeg and saved it to below 4mb. I want to post to then look at he quality difference.
_DSF9372P.JPG

Hmm, posted fine but when I go look by clicking on it, I hit the download button and it downloads as only a 500 and something kb file, not as a just under 4mb file. So Dirk, is this displaying as 4mb quality and it if so why is the download size still so small. It appears to still be downsizing and not allowing us to post up to a 4mb file . I ised the attach file button and chose to post it as full and yet it doesn't appear to be 4mb but still 500 and some kb

Nope, download is still a photo of 545kb, not 4mb. So if you are allowed a 4mb upload file, why is the forum only displaying a 500 kb or so file? I don\t see the advantage of being able to post a 4mb photo then. Hopefully you can figure this out Dirk. This file is 3.83mb jpeg on my hard drive.

Continuing to experiment for you Dirk. I figured I would display this full screen and instead of hitting the download button i right-clicked and hit 'save image as" but it didn\t work, still saved as a 589kb file on my computer. So no 4mb quality as of yet that I can see in any way. The displayed photo here looks like a 489kb file as well, displaying a 4mb file should be of much higher quality. And no reason it wouldn't let you download the full res file just under 4mb, so something is not working right yet. I'll do more experimenting as I think of new things to try.

What exactly are you trying to see? Each single blade of grass or to see if the mortar between the bricks needs cleaning?

To be honest what you have there is fine. I don't really want to see a 20mb version.

Danny.

What exactly are you trying to see? Each single blade of grass or to see if the mortar between the bricks needs cleaning?

To be honest what you have there is fine. I don't really want to see a 20mb version.

Danny.
We'll have to disagree there, I see a pretty darn big drop in quality which effects the overall feel of a photo. It has nothing to do with seeing smaller and smaller, when I look at a 20MB mpg vs the same photo at 500 KB, the difference is huge WITHOUT zooming in looking for tiny details. The overall photo has far less quality.

I have posted many a file on the old DPR, they showed you a small display photo then you could hit original size button and see full res, the difference was simply huge and zooming in at details was not neededif you would like I can post some links to posted photos on DPR so you can compare the displayed photo against the full res photo and the difference is massive.

I have posted many a file on the old DPR, they showed you a small display photo then you could hit original size button and see full res

Dpreview is history. Get over it.

I see a pretty darn big drop in quality which effects the overall feel of a photo.

Of course. This is physics. Nothing surprising. I told you that earlier already in this thread. Everybody has to make his own decision, whether he prefers convenience over quality. There is no free lunch. It is always a compromise.

If you have an image which shall have the best quality, then simply resize it on your PC to 1600 pixel on the longest side with the best quality you can achieve on your PC. The forumsoftware will not do this quality work for you.

I would be billionaire if it would be capable of that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back